Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 at 06:26 AM

Wrexham and Halifax drew for the second time in recent weeks after a frustrating encounter at the Racecourse ground.

Elliott Durrell came the closest to opening the scoring five-minutes from time when he received the ball six yards out from the Halifax goal but he couldn't quite muster a powerful enough attempt at Matty Glennon's goal. 

The introduction of Connor Jennings late on aided The Dragon's pursuit of a winner, but despite getting the ball in dangerous key areas no real testing efforts materialised for Wrexham who will be disappointed with their lack of clear goal-scoring chances throughout the game.

Although both sides created several second half-chances neither Glennon nor Andy Coughlin were forced to make a testing save and instead were only truly threatened by the high quantity of chances. In-form striker Andy Bishop, who netted twice in midweek, saw his header smash off the bar half-way through the second half after a great left-wing move by Neil Ashton and Wes York. 

In terms of the earlier action, York had the best chance of the first half when he had his low left-footed shot saved by Matty Glennon after half an hour. Despite a flurry of neat attacks down the left wing, Wrexham were unable to really test the Halifax keeper thanks to some well organised defending from the visitors.

Halifax themselves created plenty of problems for Wrexham, but suffered from the similar issue as the home side as they couldn't quite find the formula to test the Wrexham keeper. 

Debutant James Pearson who played his first game since signing on loan from Leicester City impressed, and was crucial in Wrexham's deserved clean sheet and well-organised defensive performance. 

Upon reflection it is a result that Halifax will be happier with, but also a game that both the sides might felt that they could have won. The draw means that Wrexham now remain without a league win in five and all eyes will now be on Woking in the FA Cup on Sunday as they try to reach the second round and continue with their famous cup history.

Wrexham: Coughlin, Pearson, Smith, Hudson, Ashton; Durrell, Carrington, Clarke, York (Keates 89), Bishop, Hunt (Jennings 74). 
Subs: White, Tomassen, Rushton. 

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, McManus, M.Roberts, Pearson (Smith 63), Ainge, Marshall, Peniket, Williams, K.Roberts, Boden, Maynard. 
Subs: Senior, Bolton, Dyer, Schofield.

Referee: Darren England 
Attendance: 3,421 
Away: 248 

Bookings -
Halifax: Marshall (73, foul), Roberts (84, foul) 

Man of the Match - Mark Carrington - Crucial in winning the key midfield battles and created some good chances for the strikers, who, on another day, could have finished off.

    Latest Match Reports