Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Nov 14 at 17:27 PM

A day to forget for the Dragons, as a first half goal by Charlie Strutton, his second effort following a blocked free kick, was enough to tip the game Braintree’s way.

Not that we deserved a great deal from one of our poorer displays of the season.

As early as the 4th minute, Ross White had an early header away in his own six yard box that cleared the danger from a Chez Issac cross, with three orange shirts closing in on the ball.

Shortly afterwards a Braintree corner skimmed off the head of Simeon Akinola, with the winger having the goal at his mercy.

Jennings was flagged offside from a Bishop header on, but he missed the target anyway, as we made a fleeting attack on the home goal!

White crossed deep on 14 minutes and Jennings got his header in first, but the ball carried over the home bar from six yards.

Full back Sam Habergham was booked for a foul on Bishop. The free kick was punched away by the home keeper, dropped on the edge of the box for Hudson, but the big defender’s first time effort sailed high onto the terraces

A free kick awarded to the home side on 25 minutes also saw Issac booked for dissent, after he screamed at the referee to card the Wrexham player.

From the set piece, 25 yards out, the ball struck the wall but rebounded back to Charlie Strutton to fire his second effort home from outside the box!

Coughlin had moved one way to cover the original effort and tried in vain to get back up for the rebound.

This was the Iron’s first goal in four games and Strutton's first of the season, but you had to say it was coming.

Coughlin was called in action again on 33 minutes, when he blocked a close range effort from Sean Marks, after Manny Smith had lost sight of high sliced ball.

The big keeper came to our rescue again three minutes later as he denied Issac, who was clean through on goal.

Hudson was booked for a foul on Issac just before the break – which was has fifth of the season.

After the break Braintree were soon back on the attack and Akinola was left ruing a chance when firing off target after the ball had been headed off our line.

Bishop became the sixth booking of the game on 55 minutes, for a challenge on the half way line.

On the hour a triple change for Wrexham with Keates, Evans and Moult on - Durrell, White and York off.

Moult made an initial impact as his header caused havoc and when the ball came back out, his shot from 18 yards was tipped away in spectacular fashion for a corner.

On 74 minutes, the speedy Mulley broke into the Wrexham box, checked and crossed deep, fortunately the ball curled away at the back post as Sparkes arrived just too late.

Moult had a go with a first time daisy cutter that was struck well from 20 yards, but it was equally well collected by the home keeper.

Hudson got his marking orders on 83 minutes for a second yellow card, when he attempted to tackle the speeding Mulley. It didn’t look that bad an effort and he seemed to get the ball cleanly, but in the eyes of the referee it was the ninth yellow of the game.

Coughlin was then on his metal as he made two saves in quick succession, to give us half a chance of salvaging something in the final few minutes.

The big keeper was also called on to tip over a Paine header from a late corner, as the Iron ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Braintree Town: Hamann, Peters, Clerima, Massey, Habergham; Akinola (Brundle 90), Issac, Paine, Mulley; Marks, Strutton (Sparkes 68). 
Subs: Smith, Sowumni, Pentney. 

Wrexham: Coughlin, White (Evans 59), Smith, Hudson, Hunt; Durrell (Keates 59), Clarke, Carrington, York (Moult 59); Bishop, Jennings. 
Subs: Tomassen, Rushton. 

Referee: Nigel Lugg (London) 
Attendance: 840 
Away: 150

Sending Off -
Wrexham: Hudson (83, second yellow) 

Bookings -
Braintree: Habergham (21, foul), Issac (25, dissent), Mulley (42, foul), Strutton (65, time wasting) 
Wrexham: Hunt (29, foul), Hudson (40, foul), Bishop (55, foul), Carrington (67, foul)

    Latest Match Reports