Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 at 06:27 AM

Nine-man Wrexham let a two goal lead slip as they lost at home to the Altrincham, who themselves had seen a man sent off. 

The Dragons led midway through the first-half when Elliott Durrell calmly slotted home into the far corner, after a precise pass from Wes York, to give Wrexham the lead in an otherwise tight opening exchange. 

The best chance of the opening period fell to Steven Gillespie, who find himself in front of an open net following a fantastic move down the right, however he couldn’t connect and saw his attempt fly into the stand. 

Altrincham did test debutant keeper, Jon Flatt, themselves when James Lawrie cut inside onto his left and fizzed a low shot at the Wolves man, who could only parry it for Joe Clarke to clear. 

Things got even better for Wrexham after 40 minutes, when Altrincham saw defender Scott Leather sent off following a lunging tackle on Mark Carrington. 

And when top-scorer Louis Moult volleyed in a rebound after Andy Bishop saw his powerful effort cannon off the crossbar, things were looking up for Kevin Wilkin’s men. 

However, the mood soon dampened at the Racecourse as only a minute later Moult saw red himself following a late collision with Simon Richman. 

After 15 comfortable second-half minutes, it took a pointless tackle from the already booked Andy Bishop to turn the game on its head. His late lunge resulted in Wrexham having to play out the remaining 35 minutes with only nine men on the pitch. 

Despite a resolute defence spearheaded by Manny Smith and Wrexham’s other debutant Scott Tancock, Altrincham did get back into the game when substitute Damian Reeves volleyed in a superb Lawrie cross with 15 minutes to play. 

Altrincham then drew level just moments later when Damian Reeves got his eleventh of the season as he poked home a loose ball at the far-post after a nervy goal-mouth scramble. 

And, with ten minutes to go Altrincham completed their laborious comeback when the lively Lawrie punished sloppy Wrexham defending to deflect a Ryan Crowther effort over Flatt’s head. 

Wrexham did push for another late twist, but sadly nothing materialised and now we find ourselves without a win in eight league games and with only ten points from their last eleven Conference matches. 

Man of the Match – Manny Smith: Dominated the defence and was as commanding as ever. Despite Wrexham seeing their lead slip, he still shone as a defence rock and a fantastic leader. 

Wrexham: Jon Flatt, Ross White (Jay Harris 90+3), Manny Smith, Scott Tancock, Neil Ashton; Wes York (Rob Evans 75), Mark Carrington, Joe Clarke, Elliott Durrell (Connor Jennings 66); Louis Moult, Andy Bishop. 
Subs: Johnny Hunt, Nick Rushton. 

Altrincham: Stuart Coburn, Shaun Densmore, Adam Griffin, Jake Moult (
Ryan Crowther 66), Gianluca Havern, Scott Leather, James Lawrie, Simon Richman, Steven Gillespie (Thomas Marshall 38), Kyle Perry (Damian Reeves 46), Peter Cavanagh. 

Subs: David Parton, Sean Williams. 

Referee: Ryan Johnson (Lancashire) 
Attendance: 3.002 
Away: 168 

Sendings Off -
Wrexham: Moult (45+3, violent conduct), Bishop (55, foul - second yellow)
Altrincham: Leather (37, violent conduct)

Bookings -
Wrexham: Bishop (41, handball), Ashton (45+4, dissent)

    Latest Match Reports