Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Apr 15 at 18:34 PM

Wrexham got their first win following the change of manager last Monday, with a dominant performance over Alfreton Town in front of the Racecourse crowd. 

Andy Bishop will long remember the day, as the striker sealed his 150th career goal and also added a second on the afternoon for good measure. 

The hosts faced a setback minutes before kick off when top goal scorer Louis Moult was withdrawn due to injury and his place in the starting line-up taken by Joe Clarke. This meant a seat on the bench for scholar Danny Reynolds. 

Connor Jennings opened the scoring 19 minutes into the match, converting home a dangerous ball from Tomassen in the usual right wing area. 

Jay Harris doubled the lead for the hosts 13 minutes later after Alfreton captain Luke Graham made a half clearance to leave the midfielder with a lightning bolt volley, his third goal in three games for the Dragons. 

Bish can thank Steve Tomassen for the setup, providing the 32 year-old a low cross from the right wing for him to slot the ball into the bottom left corner of the net and virtually wrap up the points before half time. 

After the break the visitors briefly raised their game to try and get a foothold back into the match, but it wasn’t long before the home side were back on the attack. 

Bishop was unfortunate to see his close range header ruled out for offside, after Clarke’s first effort was tipped onto a post by the keeper before rebounding to the striker. 

Not to be denied for too long though, he secured his 151st career goal on the 66th minute after club captain Dean Keates tapped a through ball for Bishop to place the final nail in the coffin. 

Former Wrexham player Jake Speight came on in the second half as a substitute and was close to scoring at the Racecourse Ground with a shot going on target but Blaine Hudson took the bullet to deny any goals from the visitors. 

Defender Manny Smith nearly competed with Harris’ stunning goal in the final minute of added time with a close range bicycle kick to be denied by Alfreton goalkeeper Thomas Flynn. 

In the final minutes midfielder Corey Roper was given his first team debut and became the first player from the Glyndwr Academy scheme to play for the club. 

This result secures the Dragons' places in the Vanarama Conference for next season, as none of the bottom four can now overtake them with six games remaining in the campaign. 

Wrexham: Coughlin; Tomassen, Smith, Hudson, Stephens, Clarke (Evans 56), Keates (Storer 70), Harris (Roper 87), Finley; Jennings, Bishop. 
Subs: York, Reynolds. 

Alfreton Town: Flynn; Graham, Howe, Rowe-Turner, Wood; Bradley, Lenighan, Thanoj (Phillips 55); Johnston (Shaw 58), Ironside (Speight 58), Hawley. 
Subs: Courtney, Leesley. 

Referee: Jason Whitley (Yorkshire) 
Attendance: 2,468 
Away: 82

Bookings -
Wrexham: Jennings (24, dissent), Bishop (24, dissent) 
Alfreton: Bradley (24, foul), Wood (26, foul), Graham (90, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports