Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Jan 15 at 22:20 PM

Wrexham’s run of disappointment in league games continued on a cold night in Kent by the side of the English Channel. 

Numerous injuries and a suspension depleted an already thin looking squad, whose ranks were further reduced even in the warm up, as midfielder Jay Harris was forced to drop out due to a recurrence of his virus problems. 

This left the manager having to reshuffle his line-up at the last minute, re-introducing Joe Clarke onto the right of midfield and switching Mark Carrington to the left flank. Academy players Joe Whittington and Liam Sharp were utilised on the bench. 

Despite showing up well in attack, two defensive slips allowed Dover to forge a first half lead through Tom Murphy and Sean Raggett, one they were in no mood to surrender. 

Early in the second half, the Reds did had two great opportunities to get back into the match, one was well defended and the other spurned. 

The first chance of the evening fell to Wes York in the opening seconds, but as he ran through his attempted lob of keeper Andrew Rafferty went straight to his hands. The Dover man was right on the edge of his box and looked across to the linesman – no flag, but it must have been close. 

Striker Tom Murphy headed over for the Whites with their first attack, as the ball was crossed to him on the edge of the Wrexham area. 

On 11 minutes, York ended a jinking run with a long range shot that forced Rafferty to dive full length, but the ball was just wide of his left hand post. 

From that restart, the keeper sent a long goal kick down the middle that carried over the Wrexham defence and Murphy was allowed to run onto it at full speed before crashing his shot passed the exposed Andy Coughlin to give the home side the lead. 

A second goal for Dover come on 34 minutes, when the Reds completely failed to clear their lines and a pass out wide right was crossed back into the box. Coughlin came off his line to punch the ball up field, but only to the feet of Sean Raggett, who took a chance and fired his shot home from 20 yards. 

On 51 minutes Manny Smith came forward for a Keates corner and his header looked in all the way until Orlu popped up to somehow head away. 

Just four minutes later and Carrington found himself in acres of space in the penalty box and the goal at his mercy, but instead of just sliding his shot home, he fired back across the keeper and the effort was blocked! 

Either of those going in would have offered a foothold back into the game, but it was not to be and Dover more than held their own to take the three points. 

Indeed, a slip by Ashton on the hour allowed Murphy a sight of goal and he struck an upright with a curling effort. 

Dover Athletic:  Rafferty, Esson, Francis, Orlu, Raggett, Sterling; Bell, Deverdics, Cogan, Murphy, Payne. 
Subs: Wynter, Reid, Taiwo, Modeste, Mekki. 

Wrexham: Coughlin, Tomassen, Waterfall, Smith, Ashton; Clarke, Keates (Bailey-Jones 77), Clarke; Moult, York, Bishop. 
Subs: Sharp, White, Stephens, Whittington. 

Referee: Daniel Cook (Hampshire)
Attendance: 793 
Away: 50ish  

Bookings -
Dover: Essam (foul) 
Wrexham: Ashton (dissent) 

    Latest Match Reports