Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Dec 14 at 17:22 PM

Southport 1-1 Wrexham

All square in this FA Trophy first round match as a goal in each half means a second game in three days time. 

Manny Smith scored with a sweet header for Wrexham, before Andy Mitchell hammered home a Southport equaliser in the second half. 

In the opening moments Louis Moult’s flick header on for Connor Jennings down the left, but his angled shot was just over the cross bar.

On 15 minutes, Jennings supplied a great cross from the right and Manny Smith at the back post to guide his downward header out of the reach of keeper David Raya Martin for the opening goal. 

Some misunderstanding in the Wrexham defeat on 20 minutes led to a couple of Southport corners, but the threat all ended with a Welsh free kick for pushing in the box.

Jennings won the second ball from a defensive header and hit his effort goalwards fom 20 yards, but bounced just wide. 

Rare mistake by Smith with his under hit backpass, but Jon Flatt reacted quickly to deny Port's Marsden. 

There was a booking for Matty Challinor on 36 minutes, when he brought down Jennings 30 yards form goal in the central position. Moult tried his luck direct from the kick and forced Martin into a save.. 

Another free kick two minutes later saw Ross White get on the end of the set piece but from ony six-yards out his header looped up and was eaisly caught by Martin. 

On 40 minutes, Mitchell’s shot on the run was deflected by Smith as he attempted hack the ball away and Flatt made a great one handed save to stop what would have been an own goal!

Wrexham have held the upper hand in the first half, but Southport had also had their moments – a slender 1-0 lead for the Welshmen at the break. 

Early in the second half and Joe Thompson pulled up chasing a long ball and had to be substituted by Elliott Durrell, tough luck for the on loan winger in his first outing for Wrexham. 

As we waited to make that change, Charlie Joyce tested Flatt with a rising effort that the keeper tipped over for a corner. 

Lovely touch from Bishop to spin round in the box and lose his marker, but keeper to the rescue of the Sandgrounders. 

Southport drew level on 64 minutes, when we conceded a free kick for hand ball on the edge of the box. 

The initial shot was blocked but only for ball to rebound to Mitchell 22 yards out, who slammed home through bodies. 

With 15 minutes remaining Flatt was called on to make two quick saves from Fitzpatrick and then Bakayoko. 

Immediately following the introduction of York for Moult, Jennings sent in a curling effort that beat the keeper but not the far post - so close. 

At the other end White blocked Bakayoko in the box, ball back to the striker who got a shot in that Flatt parried before getting up to deny Marsden. 

Into added time and sub Brogan brought a full lengt save from Flatt, before Wrexham broke forward and Jennings crashed an effort against the Southport woodwork! 

No more goals in added time, so all back to the Racecourse on Tuesday night. 

Southport: Reya Martin, Challinor (Rutherford 68), Fitzpatrick, Kay, Collins, Foster (Connor 82), Joyce, Marsden, Bakayoko, Mitchell (Brogan 88), Austin.
Subs: Lynch, McDonald. 

Wrexham: Flatt, Pearson, White, Smith, Ashton; Thompson (Durrell 49), Harris, Carrington, Jennings; Bishop, Moult (York 76). 
Subs: Tomassen, Hunt, Clarke. 

Referee: Martin Coy (Co Durham)
Attendance: 654 
Away: 200ish 

Bookings -
Southport: Challinor (36, foul), Mitchell (45, foul) 
Wrexham: Jennings (65, foul), Ashton (88, foul) 

Photographs courtesy of Julia Urwin

    Latest Match Reports