Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Dec 14 at 23:19 PM

A goal either side of half-time gave Wrexham a comfortable 2-0 victory over Southport in the FA Trophy first round replay. 

The visitors were reduced to ten men following Scott Kay’s dismissal and The Reds soon capitalised through Andy Bishop. 

Full-back Neil Ashton doubled the lead just minutes after the re-start to confirm the victory for Kevin Wilkin’s men, who now face Stockport County away in round two. 

Both sides took a few minutes to settle and get used to the wet conditions but Wrexham had the first notable chance of the half when defender Manny Smith forced a good save from Southport ‘keeper David Raya Martin on 11 minutes. 

The slippery pitch was creating some late challenges from both sides with former Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald lucky not to be given an early booking after a forceful tackle on Louis Moult. 

Referee Steven Rushton was again reluctant to use his cards when he had a word with Connor Jennings on 27 minutes after he caught Dominic Collins. 

Southport were then reduced to 10 men six minutes later when midfielder Kay was high and late with his challenge on Jay Harris. 

Wilkin’s side made the man advantage count on 36 minutes when striker Bishop slotted his shot into the bottom corner after Smith had completely missed his effort from close range. 

It took just two minutes of the second half for Wrexham to double the lead and kill off any chance of a Southport come back when a direct run from Ashton resulted in the 29-year-old firing a hard strike into the top corner past a helpless Martin. 

Wrexham were forced into a substitution on the hour mark when defender Ross White clashed with Sandgrounders striker Bakayoko and was replaced by Steve Tomassen. 

In front of a crowd just shy of 1,000, the pitch made play difficult and Bishop and Mark Carrington both saw their chances fall short of the goal. 

The Reds will be in action at home again this Saturday when they entertain Dartford (kick-off 3pm). 

Wrexham: Flatt, Pearson, Smith, White (Tomassen 61), Ashton; Carrington (Durrell 84), Clarke, Harris, Jennings; Moult (York 82), Bishop.
Subs:Hunt, Rushton.

Southport: Raya Martin, Fitzpatrick, Kay, Collins, George (Smith 66), Connor, Rutherford (Brogan 70), Marsden, Bakayoko, McDonald, Austin.
Subs: Joyce, Brodie, Mitchell.  

Referee: Steven Rushton (Staffs) 
Attendance: 947 
Away: 42 

Sending Off -
Southport: Kay (30, foul) 

Booking -
Southport: Bakayoko (44, time wasting) 

Photographs courtesy Jim Roberts

    Latest Match Reports