Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Jan 15 at 17:22 PM

If only we could have played in the first 45 minutes as we did on the second, then we might not be looking at a reply in the FA Trophy tie.

As it was, the Reds fought back from being two-goals behind at the interval with Connor Jennings and Louis Moult pulling us level.

There was a change to our formation as Andy Bishop was the lone striker but supported by Wes York and Elliott Durrell on opposite wings, with Connor Jennings in behind him.

Although against the early run of play, it was the Hatters who took the lead on six minutes, when centre half Stephen O'Halloran brought the ball out of defence and bounced off a challenge by Wes York close to the halfway line, as he wasn’t sure who to pass to.

Surprised to still find the ball at his feet, the big defender took his only option, which was to lay a low pass through for the rushing Jack Ryan to run behind the Wrexham back four. With the Reds waiting on what did look like an offside decision, the County striker was on his toes and with only Dan Bachmann to beat, fired home from 12 yards.

The Wrexham defenders to a man, who had held a tight line, went to the linesman on the far side, but he kept his flag down and the goal stood.

York tried his luck from the edge of the box with a shot that spun wide of Danny Hurt’s left hand post, following a throw in on the right for the visitors.

On 15 minutes a very high ball over the top saw Ryan away again, but as the ball carried through to Bachmann, the linesman kept his flag down, correctly as the keeper was always favourite, but after the previous incident it did nothing to sooth the irate Wrexham fans behind him.

The goal had lifted County’s spirits and a free kick in from the left saw O'Halloran beat his man to the ball at the post, but the defender lifted his effort high over the Wrexham crossbar from only six-yards.

Wrexham had their next real chance on 30 minutes, when a deep cross from Neil Ashton was only partially headed away by left back Scott Duxbury, dropping nicely for Jennings to see is rising shot from 19 yards just clear the County cross bar.

There was no doubting County’s second goal, when Chris Sharp was onside but in acres of space when a cross filed ball found him on the left on 32 minutes. Bachmann forced his wide, but the former Bangor City striker kept his cool and from the angle still beat the retreating Manny Smith.

In the minutes before half time, Wrexham did lift the pace and Durrell was unlucky to see his shot defected away for a corner, but an attempted Jennings overhead effort was dragged wide at the near post. Then Evans fired well over when he latched onto a half clearance.

The second half got underway with the Reds making a change as Ross White replaced Blaine Hudson at centre half.

From the restart Wrexham were back on the attack, Glenn Belezika heading away at the back post with Bishop lurking and then the striker seeing a shot deflected over for a corner.

From a throw in on the right, the ball was worked to Jay Harris 25 yards, but his first time shot was collected by keeper Hurst.

On the hour mark Louis Moult was sent on for Durrell, as we employed a second out and out striker.

The play was all in the County half, as the home side were happy enough to sit back on their two-goal lead and soak up the pressure with 10-men behind the ball.

Wrexham, for all their possession, were finding it difficult to make headway against the Hatters and Hurst had hardly been troubled.

A move down the right saw a high cross that was easily cleared, but only to Jennings, whose first time effort took a deflection and into the arms of Hurst.

A goal did come on 68 minutes, when Ashton chased a long ball on the left from White, he pulled his cross back from the bye line and took out the returning defenders with Jennings following up to fire home through bodies from 12-yards.

One became two just two minutes later as Moult scored with an bicycle kick form eight yards after Bishop’s initial header had been punched off the line by  the keeper.

Then from a free kick 30-yards out, Harris hit an effort that was aimed at the top right hand corner but didn’t quite curl enough.

A short corn on 70 minutes was then played deep where many Smith was wrestling with his marker, but got clear to fire in a header that made the side netting.

After Bishop had seen his close range effort saved by Hurst, the rebound was knocked goalwards by Jennings and finished off by Bishop, but from an offside position.

With six minutes left, Moult sent on a teasing shot that Hurst had to save at full length, pushing the ball away for yet another corner. From the flag kick, the pressure was maintained, but Moult’s header lacked the power to find its target.

County did get a free kick of their own on 86 minutes, but from distance sub Kristian Dennis fired into the stand. The Duxbury tried a dipping effort from a similar distance that had Bachmann scurrying across his goal, but it carried wide.

Evans was booked for a tackle from behind on Sharp, giving County a set pieces 22 yards out. Dennis took it again but only hit the defending wall.

Harris could have won it deep into added time with a superb strike from distance that forced Harris into an equally great save.

Stockport County: Hurst, Todd, Duxbury, Lees, Belezika, O'Halloran, Moses (Dennis 62), Churchman, Sharp, Baker (Lofthouse 37), Ryan.
Subs: Spencer, Ormson, Hancock.

Wrexham: Bachmann. Carrington, Smith, Hudson, Ashton; York, Evans, Harris, Durrell (Moult 62), Jennings, Bishop.
Subs: White, Tomassen, Clarke, Keates.

Referee: Stephen Ross (Lincolnshire)
Attendance: 2,416
Away: 483

Booking - 
Wrexham: Evans (90, foul)

    Latest Match Reports