Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Jan 15 at 17:02 PM

Wrexham will hope replays continue to reap rewards after they stumbled to their third replay in as many rounds in what is fast becoming an arduous FA Trophy campaign.

Kevin Wilkin's men disposed of Southport and Stockport County at the second time of asking, but they will need to improve yet again if they are to reach the quarter-finals of the competition they won in 2013.

Adam Campbell fired the visitors ahead before Andy Bishop levelled before the break.

Both sides had chances to win it in the second-half but the closest Wrexham came was via Luke Waterfall's header, which bounced just wide.

Wilkin showed faith in the starting XI defeated 2-0 at Dover Athletic by naming an unchanged side for the visit of the Heed Army.

They tried to reward him with an early goal but visiting keeper Adam Bartlett expertly tipped over Manny Smith's near-post header in the third minute.

Gateshead bossed proceedings thereafter but couldn't take full advantage - Matty Pattison weakly side-footed at Coughlin when left unmarked from a 20th minute corner.

However, they did make the breakthrough seven minutes later and it was all too easy.

Pattison broke free on the left, looked up and cut the ball back to Campbell, who struck the ball first time high into the corner of the net.

Wrexham huffed and puffed before fashioning the equaliser from nothing. Wes York, hugging the touchline, launched a hopeful cross into the box. After Mark Carrington lost his marker his goal-bound header was superbly saved by Bartlett, but the Heed custodian was powerless to prevent Bishop from poking in the rebound.

Gateshead thought they had regained the lead on the stroke of half-time but Campbell's far-post finish was chalked off for offside. 

In the 57th minute former Wales international John Oster, impressive throughout, curled a free-kick against the post as the Reds continued to live dangerously against a pacy Gateshead side.

With just over 20 minutes left Jay Harris replaced York as Wilkin looked to his tenacious midfielder for some inspiration.

Latest signing Waterfall directed a header just inches wide before Theo Bailey-Jones was introduced late on.

The winger, who has endured a frustrating time with injury since arriving at The Racecourse, had a golden chance to win it at the death but he somehow failed to stick a boot on the ball as Bartlett raced off his line to snuff out the danger.

Wrexham now head to the north-east on Wednesday, before Torquay United visit North Wales on Saturday.

Wrexham: Coughlin, Tomassen, Smith, Waterfall, Ashton, Clarke, Keates, Carrington, Moult (Bailey-Jones 87), Bishop, York (Harris 67).
Subs: Hudson, White, Whittington.

Gateshead: Bartlett, Jones, Chandler (Saint-Luce 54), Curtis, Clark, Oster, Turnbull, Baxter, Pattison, Gjokaj, Campbell (Shaw 69).
Subs: Finnigan, Ramshaw, Robson.

Referee: Richard Wigglesworth (Sth Yorks)
Attendance: 1,474
Away: 40

Bookings -
Wrexham: Clarke (85, foul)
Gateshead: Gjokaj (30, foul)

    Latest Match Reports