Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 09:29 AM

Reds Take Last Gasp Win...

With a key win away at Kidderminster on Tuesday night, which was viewed by over 1,000 Wrexham travelling faithful, the dragons were keen to make it four wins on the trot as they hosted Welling United.

Wrexham managed to take all three points as Dominic Vose scored a late winner to get the win the home side deserved, and Welling, who fought hard all game at the back, will be bitterly disappointed to not be able to hold onto a point.

An incredible 5,277 fans were in attendance to cheer on the boys in red, and Wrexham’s 12th man didn’t disappoint, as they were in great voice throughout.

In what was one of the more frustratingly sloppy halves of football you’ll ever see, neither side were able to take advantage of the decent positions they were getting in.

Both teams were slow out of the traps early on and the first real chance didn’t come until the 9th minute, when Welling’s Reece Harris cut back in from the right wing and his resulting shot was well saved low down by Cameron Belford.

Wrexham had all the pressure and possession but sloppy final balls and slack finishing denied them taking the lead on numerous occasions.

The home side did have the ball in the net in the 11th minute, but James Gray’s finish after Vidal’s cross from the by-line was deemed to have already gone out for a corner.

Wrexham came close again, when in the 31st minute, Robbie Evans’ dangerous cross from the right hand side of the penalty box somehow managed to evade every player, just too much pace on the ball for the outstretched leg of James Gray to poke home.

These, however, were the only real goal scoring chances Wrexham had all half, as they were either wasteful, or their shots were well blocked by the wall that was Welling’s defence.

The Away side’s one to watch was Zach Fagan, a former Arsenal youth player for nine years, and the 20 year-old was given the tough job of keeping danger man Dom Vose quiet for the entire first half, something he definitely succeeded in. As Welling’s back four withheld all the pressure from Wrexham’s quick attacks.

Fagan’s strong performance forcing Gary Mills to switch up the tactics as Vose and York switched wings, and despite freeing up Vose on the right, Wrexham failed to make any use of yet more decent half chances, with most efforts ending up in the keeper’s gloves or wide of the target.

Half Time: Wrexham 0-0 Welling United

The grit and determination of the Welling defence continued into the second half, as Wrexham simply couldn’t break them down, and get the goal they needed, the visitors on the other hand looked happy to settle for a point almost from the first whistle, with various attempts of time wasting and running the clock down.

The 51st minute brought up Wrexham’s biggest chance of the match so far, Adriano Moke played in York after a weaving run in the box, and 10 yards out with an age to shoot, York hit his uncontested shot wide.

The more the game went on, the more pressure Wrexham started to put on the away side, with James Gray, Connor Jennings and Wes York all coming close to finally breaking the deadlock.

The change that the fans wanted finally came in the 63rd minute, as Lee Fowler was brought on for Connor Jennings, who seemed to have picked up a knock.

Adam Smith was subbed on for Wes York in the 70th minute, as Gary Mills tried all he could to change the course of the game as it headed for a goalless draw.

Another chance for James Gray came in the 73rd minute, when a corner from Vose, left Gray with a free header eight yards out, the Northern Irish forward could only head weakly into the ground and was easily saved by the Welling keeper.

As the game headed into the final ten minutes, Welling fancied their chances of sneaking a shock three points against the run of play, and Sam Corne nearly managed that but his close range shot was saved by Belford.

Wrexham then went straight down the other end and Vose struck a thunderous effort from 20 yards out only to be denied by the fingertips of Thomas King, another great save to keep out the Wrexham onslaught.

Kayden Jackson was the final throw of the dice for Mills in an attempt to get the three points, as he came on for Man of the Match Adriano Moke, who was one of the only bright sparks for Wrexham.

The final few minutes went by with very little action, until the 90th minute when Dominic Vose took advantage of a fortunate deflection, as rifled home a shot past the outstretched keeper to make it 1-0 and finally break the Welling resistance.

Wrexham will be delighted with the win that sees them stay in third place, as the hunt for promotion goes on.

The next game is here at the Racecourse against Halifax on Saturday 29th August, make sure you get down to cheer on the lads on to hopefully another win. #TeamWrexham 

Wrexham: Belford, Vidal, Smith, Fyfield, Newton, Jennings, Moke, Evans, York, Gray, Vose. 
Subs: Hudson, Fowler, Jackson, Smith, Royle. 

Welling United: King, Fagan, Chambers, Lokko, Jefford, Harris, Vidal, Corne, Wellard, Lee, Porter. 
Subs: McEntegart, Kabba, Adeyinka, Nortey, Obafemi. 

Referee: Steve Rushton (Staffs) 
Attendance: 5,277 
Away: 29 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Evans (16, delaying game), Fowler (77 foul), M Smith (82 foul). 
Welling: X Vidal (67 delaying game), Fagan (89 foul)

    Latest Match Reports