Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 07 Sep 15 at 19:30 PM

Still plenty of positives to take...

Despite another rousing performance and taking the lead at Whaddon Road, the Dragons were left empty handed as the home side hit back to claim all three points. 

James Gray struck first as the Welshmen finally turned their possession into a goal early in the second half, but that only spurred the home side on and five minutes later they were level. 

Daniel Parslow rammed the ball home following a free kick and Amari Morgan-Smith finished off a long ball out of defence with only six minutes remaining to break the hearts of the 500+ travelling fans. 

In the opening moments, Connor Jennings fouled Rob Dickie on the corner of the Wrexham box, the free kick was met by the head of Daniel Parlsow, whose effort was somehow kept out by the reflects of Cameron Belford. 

The Dragons responded with three chances in a few minutes, as play switched to the other end. 

First up Adriano Moke had an effort blocked, the ball rn into the path of Wes York, but despite being on the ground the keeper managed tipped away his effort. 

Then coming through down the right flank was Javan Vidal, but he was unable to repeat his finish from Saturday and crashed his effort in t the advertising hoardings. 

More attacking play by Wrexham saw them create room on the left and as Dominic Vose cut in from the wing his right footed effort curled just outside the far post. 

With 25 minutes on the clock, a high looping cross was headed out of the Wrexham six-yard box and dropped for Robins’ midfielder Asa Hall 18-yards from goal, but his attempt flew high over the roof of the stand behind Belford’s goal. 

There was a booking for Pell on 31 minutes, as he brought down Vose on the side of the box. The free kick was by Moke and ended up at the feet of Gray 10-yards out, but his effort was blocked for a corner. 

More great play by Vose saw a lovely ball played for Gray in front of goal, the keeper saved his first effort at close range and as the ball rebounded the striker stretched out a leg, but could only fire high with goal at his mercy. 

A lovely build up saw Vose in space some 20-yards out and the former Welling man tried a long range effort that cleared the right hand post. 

Then moments later Robbie Evans sent through a pass that allowed York to outpace his marker, but Dillon Phillips raced from his line to deny the winger. 

Ht 0-0 

Two minutes after the break and Gray made a probing run down the left, elected to come inside and played a ball that saw York attack the six-yard box, but his first effort was blocked and then a second attempt came off the arm of a defender before being cleared. 

On 54 minutes the Reds stormed in front when Vidal took the ball from deep in his own area, benefitted from a kind rebound and ended up finding Gray, whose deft touch steered it inside the back post to send the Welsh fans jumping for joy. 

A booking for Vidal on 55 minutes, as he brought down Morgan-Smith on the corner of the box. 

Vose then followed him into the book for pulling the shirt of Dickie. 

The home side hit back from the free kick, as Pell rose to head the ball back across the face of the Wrexham goal and standing completely unmarked was Parslow, who picked his spot to hammer the ball in for the equaliser. 

The home certainly were lifted by this response and Belford was forced to save a shot from Jack Barthram shortly afterwards. 

Then a Vose corner on the right was met by the head of Gray and his powerful effort passed the wrong side of the near post with Phillips flat footed. 

Following two changes for the home side, Mills sent on his first sub with 15 minutes remaining when Adam Smith replaced York. 

It was just a case of injecting fresh legs and the winger was not slow at getting forward whenever he could. 

The home side went in front on 84 minutes when a long clearance from Phillips saw Vidal mistime his leap and allowed Morgan-Smith to gain possession, but even so the striker was long way from goal as he unleashed a tremendous curling shot that even the diving Belford was unable to et near 

Wrexham went bac on the attack and Vose set up a long range effort for Jennings that the keeper was happy to scramble away for a corner. 

On came Blaine Hudson for Gray with just two minutes remaining, as the yellow shirts swarmed forward in search of a point saver. 

The last throw of the dice saw Kayden Jackson on for Moke in added time. 

A series of balls in from the left ended with Manny Smith throwing out a leg to scuff wide from three yards, but the flag also went up for offside - to signal our final chance of the match. 

Cheltenham: Philips, Barthram, Storer, Downes, Parslow, Pell, Wright (Cooke 82). Morgan-Smith, Munns (Rowe 59), Hall (Waters 74), Dickie.
Subs: Lovett, Vaughan. 

Wrexham: Belford, Vidal, A Smith, Fyfield, Newton, Jennings, Moke (Jackson 90+2), Evans, York (A Smith 75), Gray (Hudson 88), Vose. 
Subs: Carrington, Fowler. 

Referee: Simon Bennett (Staffs)
Attendance: 2,827 
Away: 528 

Bookings -
Cheltenham: Pell (31, foul) 
Wrexham: Vidal (55, foul), Vose (58, foul), Jennings (72, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports