Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Sep 15 at 19:30 PM

Wrexham back to winning ways after a comfortable home victory against Altrincham.

It was Wrexham who dominated this game at a sunny Racecourse from the off, the intent to score shown after only a minute when James Gray had a chance from the kick-off, his cross was safely cleared however.

The Reds’ continued to mark their dominance, with Wes York causing real havoc on the right-wing. Wrexham might have scored earlier if someone could have connected with his endless supply.

Altrincham weren’t completely out of the game themselves and almost took the leader when James Lawrie broke through the Wrexham defence, with only a great save from Cameron Belford denying him.

It wasn’t long before Wrexham finally scored however, captain Connor Jennings stormed through the middle and his powerful pass deflected off Jake Moult and left Tim Deasy merely spectating as the ball looped over his head and into the net.

Wrexham continued their dominance thereafter, and could have had another if it wasn’t for keeper Deasy pulling off a superb range of saves to deny James Gray and Dom Vose.

With the half-time whistle looming closer Wrexham decided to treat the home fans to a moment of relief, when Blaine Hudson powered a header home to ensure Wrexham led by the margin the performance deserved.

Altrincham found their way back into the game straight after the second half whistle blew. Michael Rankine fired the ball into the roof of the next from close range after a precise through ball from Sinnott.

Last season Wrexham let a two-goal lead slip at home against Alty and lost 3-2. A lot has changed since then however, and it turned out to be only a minor blip on an otherwise good performance.

Only moments after the visitors had finished celebrating and the two-goal cushion was restored. In-form James Gray finally found the back of the net from close range as he slammed home a loose ball following a good cross from York on the right-wing that was only half cleared.

Wrexham pushed forward relentlessly until the end and could have had their fourth soon after, Robbie Evans collected the ball on the edge of the box, but his right-footed drive clipped the bar and flew into the bouncing crowd.

In the end Wrexham got the win they deserved, they might have to up their game against some opponents but should be commended by the way in which they professionally stayed focused on the job in hand. 

Man of the Match – Adriano Moke for me. Controlled midfield and was calm and classy on the ball. Could have been a very different result if not for his patient play, crucial tackling in dangerous areas and his great variety of passing. 

Wrexham: Belford; Newton, M.Smith, Hudson, Fyfield; Evans, Moke, Jennings; York (Logan 82’), Vose (Jackson 85’), Gray (A.Smith 82’). 
Subs: Fowler, Carrington.

Altrincham: Deasy, Densmore, Griffin, Moult (Havern 68), Leather, Lawrie, Rankine, Heathcote (Crowther 53’), Bowerman (Reeves 68’), Sinnott, Parry. 
Subs: Davis, Stouddis. 

Referee: Wayne Barratt (West Mids) 
Attendance: 4,628 
Away: 138

    Latest Match Reports