Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Sep 15 at 22:01 PM

Heed Left Celebrating At The End...

Wrexham will look back on this visit to the International Stadium and wonder just how they didn’t take some of the spoils after dominating possession for long periods, particularly in the first half. 

Having said that, keeper Cameron Belford can feel fortunate not to have seen red for his tackle on Ryan Bowman after just 17 minutes. Josh Gilles made the Reds pay though, scoring direct from the free kick. 

That was a feat which Sean Newton repeated ten minutes later, although from even further out. 

The points were eventually wrapped up in the second half by a towering header from Bowman 

After just four minutes, Wes York played the ball through Matty Paterson's legs, but his final shot flew across the face of the home goal. 

A second corner for the Reds came on nine minutes, as James Gray's shot was deflected behind, but the defence hooked clear by the Heed before Blaine Hudson shot straight at the keeper from 15 yards. 

After hardly getting over their halfway line in the opening quarter of an hour, a through ball set Bowman away and Belford raced from his line to tackle the striker - but fouled him and we all waited for a red card to be waved, happily it was only a yellow! 

The free kick should have been taken from virtually on the edge of the box, but Josh Gilles was happy to move the ball back three yards, which gave him a little extra room to despatch a glorious effort up and over the wall that found the net with Belford unable to do anything about it. 

Wrexham responded with Connor Jennings rattling the home cross bar with a 30-yard effort, that bounced back into play. Although Gray was on hand to net, he did so from an offside position. 

Next up was a through ball from Jennings that found Robbie Evans down the left hand channel and his first time effort flew just wide of the far post. 

Wrexham drew level on 27 minutes, through a Sean Newton direct free kick from wide out on the right found that fought its way straight into the back of the home net, with the keeper struggling. 

A desperate saving tackle denied Gray a clear sight of goal from 18 yards, as Wrexham continued to dominate possession. 

Moments before half time, another Newton free kick from deep on the right, this time both Hudson and Manny Smith rose to head it on from six yards out. They probably got in each other’s way and the effort lacked power to beat Russell away to his left. 

A change at the interval saw Gateshead bring on James Marwood for Jon Shaw. 

In the opening attack of the half, Hudson hit a 40-yard cross field ball into the path of Dominic Vose who took it on and fired at Russell, but the keeper got his body behind the effort. 

A cross from Gilles was headed just behind by Hudson, to start a series of corners for the Heed, but the Reds held strong. 

Not long short of the hour and Gray forced Russell into a diving save for a corner, the ball was swung in in and Manny Smith forced Russell to tip his header behind. 

On 57 minutes the home side regained the lead as an inviting right wing cross from Craig Baxter, saw Ryan Bowman get above his marker, but from 15 yards his effort had to be right in the corner and it was. 

Adam Smith was already stripped and ready to come on at this stage and he replaced Gray. 

Jennings will be disappointed that failed to get a proper contact on a free header from Newton's cross into the box. Moments later he was in the action again, pushing the line and firing a ball across the home goalmouth, but no one on hand to finish off from close range. 

Hudson pulled off a great block to deny Jamie Chandler, after we passed up several chances to clear the danger. Happily Clark’s powerful header from the corner disappeared into the dark Tyneside night. 

Joel Logan was third substitute, coming on 71 minutes, joining Adam Smith and Lee Fowler in the action. 

With a little over 10 minutes remaining, another lovely cross in by Newton saw Jennings’ header beat Russell but not the back post! 

Another Gilles free kick, this time from 30 yards, had Belford juggling the ball, but the keeper took control and cleared up field. 

Into added time and Russell denied Jennings coming in at an angle. 

After dominating the first 45 minutes, not being in front at the break came back to haunt us and it was the home side who took advantage to claim the three points. 

Gateshead: Russell, Baxter, Pattison, Chandler, Clark, Shaw (Marwood 46), Gillies, Phillips, Buddle, Bowman, Ramsden. 
Subs: Ramshaw, MacDonald, Allen, Briggs. 

Wrexham: Belford, M Smith, Hudson, Fyfield, Newton; Evans (Fowler 67), Jennings, Moke; York (Logan 71), Gray (A Smith 58), Vose. 
Subs: Carrington, Jackson. 

Referee: Michael Salisbury (Lancs)
Attendance: 1,113 
Away: 117 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Belford (16, foul)

    Latest Match Reports