Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Oct 15 at 22:33 PM

Wrexham squandered an early lead and had to come from behind to earn a point against in-form rivals Tranmere.

Robbie Evans gave the hosts a 17th minute lead with a superb long-range strike before Lois Maynard (25) blasted home the equaliser.

Andy Mangan - who else - fired Gary Brabin's men ahead in the 52nd minute before Reds substitute Joe Quigley (83) popped up with a late equaliser.

There was little to separate the sides and a draw was a fair result. Wrexham also stopped the rot of two successive defeats but Gary Mills will again be smarting at the way his side conceded.

Jamal Fyfield was restored to the starting XI after serving a one-match ban to add some much-needed solidity to a defence still reeling from a dismal rearguard display in the defeat at Chester. Blaine Hudson dropped out as a result.

Loan signings Jon Nolan and Quigley were relegated to the bench in favour of Mark Carrington and Wes York.

This was the first time the sides had clashed domestically for a decade and the match lived up to its National League clash of the Titans billing.

Tranmere, featuring a trio of former Reds players in Martin Riley, Mangan and Jay Harris, forced two corners inside the first minute of a pulsating first half.

Liam Hogan saw a header cleared off the line as the men bedecked in eye-watering fluorescent yellow started brightly.

Wrexham responded via a mini-burst of pace from York and a charged down shot from Javan Vidal as the Reds sought calm and composure.

Harris tried to break the deadlock in the 14th minute with a trademark long-range effort but his low drive was parried to relative safety by Belford.

But Anything Harris can do his protégé Evans can do better...

After Scott Davies had kept out a point-blank Jennings header with a stunning instinctive one-handed save the ball fell invitingly to Evans who put his laces through the ball from 20 yards to give the keeper no chance. Cue red pandemonium and Evans running along the front of the Mold Road Stand to lap up the adulation.

However, the lead was short-lived. Belford couldn't hold Adam Dawson's delivery from a corner and Maynard was on hand to blast the ball through a sea of bodies into the net.

York had the ball in the for Wrexham ten minutes before half-time but the off-side flag had long been up as a training ground move came up short.

A heavy second touch cost Connor Jennings a decent chance at goal as honours ended even at the break.

Soft goals have become Wrexham's Achilles heel in recent defeats and Tranmere's second goal was no exception.

Ritchie Sutton floated in a low cross and after Mangan beat Manny Smith to the ball he went for precision over power to beat Belford with a delicate touch that went beyond the keeper into the corner of the net.

Mills had seen enough and pulled Carrington and Vose with Kayden Jackson and Quigley tasked with helping Wrexham get back on level terms. Jon Nolan soon followed at the expense of Adriano Moke.

It was nip and tuck for most of the second half with Tranmere keep to hold onto their slender lead. However, Wrexham had other ideas.

Jennings got free on the right and floated an inviting delivery across goal and Quigley showed fine composure to side-foot the ball past a flailing Davies.

With Tranmere tiring Wrexham went for the jugular but Jackson was foiled by a combination of a heavy touch and greasy surface as he shaped to shoot in added time.

Wrexham: Belford, Vidal, Newton, Smith, Fyfield, Moke (Nolan 67), Carrington (Quigley 63), Evans, Vose (Jackson 62), Jennings, York.
Subs: Hudson, Nolan.

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, Sutton, Hogan, Harris, Riley, Mangan, Hill, Mekki, Maynard, Dawson, Margetts.
Subs: Turner, Jennings, Norwood, Jackson, Ridehalgh.

Referee: John Brooks
Attendance: 6,706
Away: 1,181

 Vidal (foul)
Tranmere:  Hill (foul)

    Latest Match Reports