Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Jan 16 at 19:39 PM


Wrexham ended their run of five league games without a win, with a convincing 3-1 win over Lincoln City. Goals from Wes York; Connor Jennings and Simon Heslop ensured the Reds came from behind to claim all three points.

Matt Rhead had given Lincoln the lead from the spot, early in the first half after Rhys Taylor conceded a penalty. But Wrexham pegged them back, with a lovely glancing header from Wes York.

Connor Jennings gave Gary Mills' men the lead not long after half time, and Simon Heslop topped of an impressive performance with a deflected effort from 25 yards to make it 3-1.

The game was very open from the off. Wrexham started the better of the two sides, looking to get in behind Lincoln's high line with every opportunity.

Despite that, the first chance fell to Lincoln, as Rhys Taylor was forced into his first save. A corner from the left found Callum Howe, who towered above Wrexham's defence and headed towards goal. The header found Liam Hearn at the back post, but Taylor saved well to his left.

Wrexham's first chance came on 10 minutes as Rob Evans shot wide from 20 yards. Sean Newton's free kick found Connor Jennings at the back post. The captain's header into the danger area was cleared to Evans, who couldn't quite get hold of his volley.

Wrexham had much of the ball in the first 10 minutes, and seemed quite comfortable. But that long ball proved their undoing yet again. Manny Smith failed to connect with his header back to Rhys Taylor, and Jack Muldoon nicked it in front of the Wrexham man to win a penalty.

Wrexham's protests of innocence were waved away by referee Robert Jones, and Matt Rhead beat Taylor to his left to score his 15th goal of the season.

The Imps goal saw them sit back, as Wrexham struggled to break down their defensive wall. But Wrexham's first real chance came from a neat ball round the corner from Connor Jennings. Jennings found Carrington down the right side and his low cross evaded Wes York, and landed at the feet of Gray. He controlled, but his shot was stopped well by the on-rushing 'keeper, Farman.

Rob Evans' runs from the midfield were causing Lincoln all sorts of problems. His best chance came on half hour after he was released by a long ball. But his shot on the run found the side netting from 20 yards.

Then came the equaliser. Connor Jennings played a corner short to Dom Vose, who returned the favour. Jennings then dinked the ball towards the penalty spot where Wes York was on hand with a brilliant glancing header, leaving the keeper with no chance.

The half ended with saves from both 'keepers. Muldoon, who was Lincoln's best player throughout, forced Taylor into a save. Then Jennings' volley was claimed by Farman, after Vose's shot was blocked.

The second half saw Lincoln make their first change, as Liam Hearn was replaced by Robbie McDaid.

But Wrexham dealt the first blow of the half as they took the lead on 48 minutes. Dom Vose toyed with Lee Beevers on the right flank and played a low cross across the six yard box, it was parried back into play by Farman, and Jennings was first to react as he stroked the ball into an empty net for his 10th of the season.

The Imps struggled after the goal, with a few sloppy tackles leading to bookings. Former Wrexham man Luke Waterfall and midfielder Alan Power found themselves in the book.

With Wrexham looking to kill the game off, Gary Mills introduced Kayden Jackson. His pace was welcomed by Reds fans and he found himself in behind throughout the second half.

His first involvement was a lovely ball into Evans, who once again found himself in the Lincoln box, but the midfielder dragged his shot wide of Farman's left post.

Then came Lincoln's best spell of the second half. Chances for Muldoon and Rhead brought saves from the Sponsors' man of the match, Rhys Taylor, who more than made up for the penalty he conceded in the first half.

But Wrexham had other ideas, as Simon Heslop sealed the win.

As Lincoln tired, a long throw from Newton found Heslop in the middle. He took a touch, set himself and rifled his shot from 25 yards and a slight deflection put an end to Lincoln's challenge.

The much needed win puts Wrexham 10th, six points off the play offs. But leaves Lincoln without a win in 11. Mills' men now look forward to a trip to Braintree on Tuesday, where they hope for more of the same.

Wrexham: Taylor, Newton, M Smith, Fyfield, Carrington, Evans, Heslop, Jennings, Vose (Jackson 58), Gray (Moke 90+1), York.
Subs: White, Hudson, Fowler.

Lincoln City: Farman, Wood, Waterfall, Muldoon, Power, Rhead, Hearn, Beevers, Sparrow, Blough, Howe.
Subs: Grant, Bush, Robinson, Stanley, McDaid.

Referee: Rob Jones (Merseyside)
Attendance: 3,855
Away: 171

Bookings -
Lincoln City: Waterfall (53, foul), Power (56, foul), Stanley (67, foul)

    Latest Match Reports