Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 at 09:40 AM

Reds Let Greens Off The Hook

Wrexham put in a brilliant spirited comeback over league leaders Forest Green Rovers at the Racecourse this afternoon, but were denied all three points in the cruellest of fashion. 

A brace from the most unlikely of sources in Blaine Hudson cancelled out Darren Carter’s first half goal, but they were denied the win in the last minute of stoppage time, after substitute Brett Williams scrambled the ball home to make it 2-2.

Fresh off the back of losing their star midfielder Dominic Vose to League One’s Scunthorpe, Gary Mills’ men were looking to bounce back with three points today against the table toppers from Gloucestershire.

Despite Forest Green hitting the crossbar in the second minute, it was Wrexham who in fact looked the livelier in the opening stages.

The first opportunity for the home side came in the fifth minute after some neat play in the minute ended up with Newton having the ball on the left wing, but his menacing delivery somehow managed to avoid every player and the chance went away. 

A few minutes later and Wrexham had arguably their best chance of the half to score, Simon Heslop found himself 25 yards out to goal, and chanced a shot from long range, only for it to skid past the post.

The home side found themselves in an identical position 15 minutes in too, this time Mark Carrington took aim from distance, but his shot flew into the back of the Kop, rather than the intended back of the net.

In typical Wrexham fashion though, the dominance led to nothing as Forest Green clinically punished them from a corner in the 20th minute. After some good defending in the build up from Fyfield denied Jon Parkin a certain tap in. Parkin then turned provider from the resulting corner, flicking on Keanu Marsh-Brown’s whipped in delivery straight to Carter, who couldn’t miss from five yards out as he directed his header past Taylor.

The goal came as real sucker punch to the Dragons, who had started to build momentum prior to going 1-0 down. After the goal, Wrexham’s chances became few and far between, as a well organised visiting side showed exactly why they are top of the league with intense pressing. 

In the 35th minute, the home team really should’ve levelled after Newton found Kayden Jackson free in the box, but the youngsters attempt on the swivel was weak, and easily collected by The Green’s keeper Steve Arnold.

The second half brought one change, as Vidal, who’s spent the majority of the season on the side lines through injury, was taken off for midfielder Adriano Moke, as Gary Mills tried to get his side back into the game. 

Despite the first 15 minutes of the second half passing both sides by, it was the home side who deservedly levelled. Carrington’s corner was met with a thumping header by Hudson as the ball flew into the roof of the net, with the Racecourse erupting in both relief and belief that they could go onto win this crucial battle with the league leaders. 

And that belief turned into reality eight minutes later, with centre-half Hudson getting his second of the game. After originally being denied by a great fingertip save from visiting shot stopper Arnold, the ball landed perfectly at the feet of the number 5, who made no mistake with the resulting tap in as he ran off to celebrate with the home crowd.

With a tricky twenty plus minutes to negotiate, Mill’s side defended superbly in their attempt shut out Forest Green, who threw everything at the home team trying to get the equaliser back, looking dangerous at every attack. To make matters worse for the visitors, they had to play the final few minutes with ten men, after Sam Wedgbury was given second yellow and resulting marching orders from the referee.

However, it was Forest Green who had the last laugh, after substitute Williams poked home in the 93rd minute, breaking the home fans hearts in the process, and salvaging a point out of nowhere.

Wrexham: Taylor, Vidal (Moke 45), Newton, Smith, Hudson, Fyfield, Jennings, Carrington, Jackson, York (Beck 48), Heslop.
Subs: Fowler, Gray, Briscoe. 

Forest Green Rovers: Arnold, Bennett, Jennings, Racine, Clough, Marsh-Brown (Guthrie 70), Sinclair, Wedgbury, Carter, Parkin, Frear
Subs: Moore, Williams, Kelly, Pipe. 

Referee: Ryan Johnson (Manchester)
Attendance: 3,891 
Away: 89 

Sending Off -
FGR: Wedgbury (90+2, second yellow)

Bookings - 
Heslop (74, foul)
Forest Green:
 Bennett (37 foul), Racine (49 foul), Marsh-Brown (53 foul), Wedgbury (72 foul) 

    Latest Match Reports