Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Feb 16 at 17:40 PM

Dragons See Off The Ravens

Wrexham got back to winning ways at the Racecourse by comfortably dispatching Bromley two goals to nil, ending a winless streak of four games in the process.

Goals from Lee Fowler and Connor Jennings were enough to take all three points against a disappointing visiting side, with Gary Mills hoping the win will prove to be the springboard needed for a late push to get into the National League play-offs.

All the pre-match talk surrounded the home side’s line-up, with the surprise inclusion of Lee Fowler, and the notable absence of Manny Smith, after the centre half picked up a hamstring injury. Amazingly it was Smith’s first minute of football he will have missed since signing for Wrexham in 2014.

After a lively start, it was Wrexham who had the ball in the net first in the fourth minute, only for it to be disallowed. Following Sean Newton’s thunderous strike from 30 yards out had cannoned off the post, Beck was there to put the ball in the open net, but the tall striker was deemed to be offside by the linesman.

Wrexham continued to dominate the early stages of the game and deservedly went ahead 31 minutes in. Mark Carrington found Fowler free in the box in acres of space, as the midfielder guided his header superbly into the bottom left corner.

Seven minutes later and the home team had a chance to double their lead after Rodgers clipped Jennings in the penalty area. The captain made no mistake with the resulting spot kick, as he drove his shot down the middle and past Alan Julian emphatically.

It was normal service was resumed in the second half, as Wrexham continued to dominate, and if it wasn’t for Bromley’s keeper, it could have been a lot more. Julian making a great low-down reaction save after Jennings’ well hit shot was bottom corner bound.

The home side spent the majority of the game untroubled, with the first real chance for Bromley not coming until the 73rd minute. After some neat link up play, Adam Coombes was played in one-on-one with Rhys Taylor, but the Wrexham goalie denied the winger with a strong right hand past the post.

Five minutes later and Bromley had another chance to grab a goal back, only to be denied yet again by Taylor. Substitute Bradley Goldberg took on two players and curled a shot towards the bottom corner but his great effort was matched by Wrexham’s on loan keeper.

Both sides had further chances to get on the scoresheet, but in the end the game finished 2-0 to Wrexham. A rather flattering score line for Bromley, who never looked like getting back into the match after conceding first, and were beaten by a far superior side over the 90 minutes.

Wrexham: Taylor, Newton, Hudson, Fyfield, Fowler (Gray 88), Jennings, Moke (Evans 69), Carrington, Jackson, Heslop, Beck (York 75).
Subs: White, Briscoe.

Bromley: Julian, Rodgers, Holland, Francis, Fuseini, Anderson, Gordon, Minshull, Allassani (Coombes), Emanuel, Wall (May, 45).
Subs: Swaine, Goldberg, Tumwa.

Referee: Joe Johnson (Merseyside)
Attendance: 3,511
Away: 85

Bookings -
Wall (250

    Latest Match Reports