Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Feb 16 at 17:40 PM

First Half Goals Seal Win...

Two first half goals from Lee Fowler and Connor Jennings sealed the points and pushed the Dragons back up the table to the edge of the play-offs. 

Fowler grabbed his second in two starts just passed the half hour mark, while Jennings fired home from the penalty spot moments before the  

There was a recall for Robbie Evans, while Adriano Moke started from the bench. Manny Smith was also a surprise substitute after missing last week's match with a hamstring pull, while new boy Ryan O'Reilly was also on the bench after joining from Stoke City this week. 

We were only two minutes into the match when the Wings’ midfielder Harry Lee had the first shot for the home side and forced a good save out of Rhys Taylor. 

The keeper was also called on to tip away from Reece Harris and then cover a free kick conceded on the corner of our area by Jamal Fyfield – all as United forced the early pace. 

There was a yellow card for Sean Newton on 15 minutes, for a fouling Luke Wanadio on the half-way line, no arguing with that one as the home side were about to break forward. 

Just before the half hour, Robbie Evans fought his way forward for a shot was parried away by the keeper, Jackson was quickly on the loose ball and although he fired wide, it looked like a good pen shout as he was being bundled over in the process. 

The breakthrough came on 32 minutes when Jackson latched onto a flick on down the right hand channel and got into the box. He held off his man and drove the ball low towards goal, where Lee Fowler was on hand to finish from close range. 

Fowler was in at the back post two minutes later when he got a head to the ball and forced a save out of keeper Marek Rodak, who collided with the upright. 

There was then a booking for skipper Jennings, for shirt pulling in the middle of the park as he held back Lee. The referee also had to then speak to the same player for back chatting – he must have been close to a second caution. 

A minute before the break the visitors were awarded a penalty when Evans was run into from behind by Gayle, it might have been unfortunate for the Wings, but there were no arguments from the home players. 

Jennings stepped up and as the keeper dived to his right, fired powerfully down the middle to put us two up at the interval. 

Ht 0-2 

Good work by Jackson in behind the full back to set up a cross that Jennings was close to getting on the end. 

A first caution for the home side came on 52 minutes, as Wanadio carded for bringing down Fyfield. 

After a Lee shot hits Heslop got a corner, the ball was played and Gayle gets his head to the ball, but drifts just wide of the back post. 

On 69 minutes, you had to feel sorry for Jackson, as he broke through but a combination the keeper and defender deny him for a corner. Ball in and two Newton efforts were blocked. 
Shortly afterwards, more Wrexham pressure ended with the ball coming back off Rodak in the home goal, hitting Mark Beck and rebounding behind for a goal kick. 

On 75 minutes, a Heslop shot took a deflection – the keeper managed to correct himself and get a touch away for a corner. The cross came in & great save by the keeper to deny Hudson. 

Jackson was then denied what looked to us as a nailed on penalty, when Chambers ran into the Wrexham striker and the pair crashed to the ground. But as one unhappy local told us, “you have already had one penalty, you can’t have a second!” 

Following a save from Taylor at one end, we went straight to the other and it took a great save from Rodak to deny Jackson after Fowler set him clear. 

James Ferry got free in the Wrexham box, got on the end of a high cross, but blazed over. 

Despite there being three added minutes the Welshmen saw out the game, to claim a first win in three visits to Park View Road. 

Welling United: Rodak, Chesmain, Chambers, Lee (Nortey 90), Wanadio, Gayle, Ferry, Harris, Williams, Yusuff (Kabba 68), Daniel (Adeloye 61). 
Subs: McEntegart, Lokko. 

Wrexham: Taylor, Carrington, Hudson, Fyfield, Newton, Heslop, Fowler, Evans, Jennings, Jackson, Beck. 
Subs: Smith, O'Reilly, Moke, York, Briscoe. 

Referee: A Young (Cambridgeshire) 
Attendance: 620 
Away: 150ish + 

Bookings -
Welling: Wanadio (52, foul), Ferry, (89, foul) 
Wrexham: Newton (15, foul), Jennings (35, shirt pulling)

    Latest Match Reports