Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Feb 16 at 17:41 PM

No goals, but plenty of effort from both sides at the Moss Rose... Read more at

Honours even on a day when both sides produced plenty of shots, but few real chances. 

Both teams hit the woodwork, Jackson in the first half for Wrexham and then Holroyd in the second for the Silkmen. 

Early action saw former Moss Rose favourite Connor Jennings fire in a shot from the edge of the box, that home keeper was right behind to make the save. 

A high ball over the top on 16 minutes, saw centre back George Pilkington bring down Kayden Jackson as the Wrexham man pulled away from him, but the referee was happy just to give a free kick and a warning to the home player. 

With a clear run at goal from 20 yards, other officials might not have been so generous, as it looked a decent position from which to get away a shot on the home goal. 

As it was, Sean Newton stepped up to take the free kick, but fired his effort over the Macc crossbar. 

Midway through the first half a ball into the near post in the Wrexham area saw Jack Sampson get a touch but it flew wide as the striker ended up in a heap five yards out. When Rhys Taylor went to help up the home player, Sampson made a sudden recovery, springing to his feet to remonstrate with the Wrexham keeper! 

On 27 minutes, Jackson shock off his marker and raced in on goal, slipping a shot passed the stranded Shawn Jalal, and the whole ground held its breath as the ball hit the far post and then bounced back into play! 

A few minutes before the break and although pushed wide by Newton, former Chester man Chris Holroyd was able to get a fierce shot in from a tight angle, that forced Taylor into a two handed save. 

The half ended with both teams scrapping for bits and neither really getting on top. 

Ht 0-0 

Taylor was called on to make another save in the first sixty seconds of the second half, as a Macc build up saw the ball played along the Wrexham 18-yard line, setting up Kristian Dennis for shot that the needed to be dealt with. 

In what was very much a rugby type move, Robbie hit an up and under, which he ran onto and ended up forcing a corner. The cross resulted in a mass scramble inside the six-yard box, before a second corner was awarded, although this was more easily dealt with by Jalal. 

The game’s first booking came on the hour, as Sampson barged into the back of Mark Carrington, which the referee indicated was the last in series of fouls and earned him a caution. 

Dennis had a sniff of goal on 73 minutes, when put through, but Taylor was quickly off his line to block the striker’s effort. 

Wrexham’s first change saw Wes York introduced on 72 minutes for Mark Beck and at the same time Tony Diagne came on for the injured Neil Byrne in the home ranks. 

Moments later Taylor came to punch clear and while the ball did travel a distance, Holroyd was straight on it and fired an effort that skimmed the Wrexham cross bar! 

There was then a second appearance for Johnny Smith as he replaced Fowler with 10 minutes to go and Macclesfield sent on Jimmy Phillips for Sampson. 

Jennings broke through midfield to set Jackson away on the right, his low cross was met by Johnny Smith in the centre, but the home defence scrambled his effort away for a corner. 

Newton met the flag kick, but his header was only into the hands of Jalal. 

Smith again involved as Jackson saw his attempted chip blocked by the home keeper, but from distance the youngster’s follow up was wide of the mark. 

Then deep into added time, Newton conceded a foul on the edge of our box, from the free kick the ball struck our wall, but the blue shorts kept the pressure up and it took some desperate defending to keep them out before the final whistle sounded. 

Macclesfield Town: Jalal, Halls, Byrne (Diagne 72), Pilkington, Fitzpatrick, Turnball, Holroyd, Whitaker, Sampson (Phillips 82), Dennis, Whitehead (Styche 85). 
Subs: Branagan, Sutherland. 

Wrexham: Taylor, Carrington, Smith M, Hudson, Newton, Heslop, Evans, Fowler (Smith J 81), Jennings, Beck (York 72), Jackson. 
Subs: O'Reilly, Moke, Briscoe. 

Referee: Ollie Yates (Newcastle)
Attendance: 2,406 
Away: 1,089 

Bookings -
Macclesfield: Sampson (62, foul) 
Wrexham: Newton (90+3, foul) 

    Latest Match Reports