Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 14 Oct 15 at 21:57 PM

Connor Jennings spared Wrexham's blushes with an injury-time equaliser to salvage a point at home to gutsy Guiseley.

Gavin Rothery gave the battling Lions a third minute lead before a double from Dom Vose (23, 37) saw Wrexham ahead at half-time.

Guiseley substitute Liam Dickinson (70) levelled as Wrexham came unstuck from a free-kick before Adam Boyes (81) finished with aplomb as the Reds defence went AWOL.

But with the visitors reduced to ten men late on it was left to Wrexham skipper Jennings to net in four minutes of added time.

However it will not be enough to paper over the cracks of a somewhat disjointed display.

Manager Gary Mills made several changes to the side that were defeated at Dover on Saturday.

Javan Vidal, Vose and Adam Smith were preferred ahead of Ross White, Lee Fowler and Joe Quigley respectively.

Clean sheets have been in short supply for Wrexham this season and the defence was picked apart in the third minute when Rothery glided through unchallenged from the left to give Guiseley a shock lead with a neat low finish.

Vose tried to fashion a few chances from nothing but both his shots failed to worry Guiseley stopper Steven Drench.

He was not to be denied, however, in the 23rd minute. With his marker Ryan Toulson standing off him the midfielder cut inside from the left and unleashed a superb curling drive with his right foot, the ball cannoning into the net off the post.

Adam Smith then turned on the afterburners to reach Vidal's superb defence-splitting pass but Drench was equal to his stinging drive.

Mills' plans were disrupted when Adriano Moke was stretchered off but it appeared to galvanise the Reds as they took the lead eight minutes before half-time.

Vose took advantage of a slip by Toulson in the 18 yard box, looked up and nonchalantly side-footed the ball home past a fuming Drench.

Rob Evans and Sean Newton almost added to the lead but after such a poor start to the game Wrexham were  delighted to take a slender lead into the half-time interval.

The hosts started the second half brightly with Newton looking particularly lively down the left.

However, Guiseley understandably fancied their chances against a Reds defence which have been leaking goals of late.

Manny Smith denied George Marris a clear sight of goal with a superb last-ditch tackle before Marris's replacement Dickinson smashed a free-kick against the bar just seconds after coming onto the field.

Adam Boyes then wasted a glorious chance from close range to level as Wrexham started to sit deeper.

And when the visitors were awarded a dubious free kick inside the Reds half with 20 minutes remaining Dickinson was in the right place at the right time to stab the ball past Belford.

Dickinson, the game-changer, then held the ball up with purpose before releasing Boyes through on goal. With Blaine Hudson struggling to keep up Boyes was afforded enough time to pick his spot sweetly past Belford.

Rothery's late dismissal for a crunching challenge on Carrington played into Wrexham's hands as, deep in stoppage time Jennings converted at the second time of asking from substitute Kayden Jackson's pass.

Reds manager Mills has always stated if you don't win, make sure you don't lose but that will be of little consolation as his side failed to win at home for the fourth time in succession at the Racecourse.

Wrexham: Belford, Newton, M Smith, Fyfield, Hudson (Jackson, 85), Vidal, Vose, A Smith (Quigley, 67), Jennings, Moke (Carrington, 36), Evans.
Subs: White, Nolan.

Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Lowe, Lockwood, Brooksby, D Boshell (Lawlor 56), Boyes, Rothery, Hatfield, Marris (Dickinson 56), Atkinson.
Subs: D Atkinson, Craddock, N Boshell.

Referee: Karl Evans (Lancs)
Attendance: 3,633
Away: 47

Sending Off -
Guiseley: Rothery (88, violent)

Booked -
Wrexham: Fyfield (54, foul), Quigley (69, foul)

    Latest Match Reports