Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 at 22:12 PM

Carrington's strike decides close game

It might have taken close on 1,000 miles for the Dragons to complete this game with the Gulls, but in the end it was well worth it as the boys finally travelled home with the three points. 

A rare strike from midfielder Mark Carrington was the clincher in a close game fought out in trying conditions, as gale force winds battered Plainmoor. 

The Reds started with the same line that faced Macclesfield, but there was a change on the bench as Ross White was included for Taylor McKenzie. 

The opening minutes were spent in the Wrexham half as the Gulls used the strong wind at their backs to push the visitors on the defensive, to see if they could make an early breakthrough. 

It took about 10 minutes before the Reds started to get to grips with the testing conditions and venture into the Torquay half with purpose. 

Having said that, the first real effort of the game was United's, as midfielder Courtney Richards tried his luck from 25 yards, but it carried over Rhys Taylor's crossbar with 15 minutes played. 

Midway through the first half, a Torquay wind assisted free kick from almost on the halfway line sailed long and high onto the terraces where the Wrexham fans were standing. 

A looping header from United's Aman Verma was another effort that was too strong and Taylor was able to watch it to safety pass by. The former Kidderminster Harriers forward then picked up the ball out wide and a low shot was only a foot wide of the nearest Wrexham post. 

Shortly afterwards a left-sided corner bounced through the Wrexham box before Andre Wright headed wide when well placed at the back post – although both Newton and Taylor were covering the line. 

Just after the half hour mark, Wrexham survived a succession of corners, as our attempted clearances only ended up allowing Torquay to keep up the pressure in the 'breeze'. 

Blaine Hudson had our first real effort of the game, a shot from 30-yards that crashed against the roof of the stand behind the United keeper. 

As we moved into added time before the interval, a great ball was played in by Sean Newton and it seemed Wes York only had to stab home after he got the better of centre half Nathan Smith, but his effort went wide as the Torquay man seemed to impede the winger. 

Ht 0-0 

Just 13 seconds into the second half and Fyfield’s clearance from by his left hand corner flag carried all the way to the other end for a goal kick - just to emphasis the strength of the wind. 

Dom Vose was finally booked on 52 minutes, following a number of fouls that had gone against him, so it was only a matter of time before his name was taken. 

On 58 minutes, a York throw in bounced off Carrington in the six yard box and towards goal, but the keeper collected comfortably. 

The Reds make a couple of changes with Gray and O’Brien being sent on for Vose and York – this came after Caton had exchange places with Moke a little earlier. 

Robbie Evans then threw his body in the way of a fierce effort, deflecting the ball away to safety, but it must have stung the young player. 

Then came the turning point on 78 minutes, when the Reds were able to nudge themselves in front. The moment was set up when Newton's free kick from inside his own half was headed behind by Angus MacDonald. 

Newton trotted across to the Wrexham right and dropped his corner into the box, where at the near post United's Durrell Berry could only head it across the face of his own goal. This allowed Mark Carrington the chance to get free in the box and he lashed the ball home from all of two yards! 

A few minutes later a Newton free kick from distance hit the home wall, rebounded to Evans and his effort from 25 yards stung the keeper’s fingers, but it was cleared. 

It was a nervous final few minutes, as there was an almighty goalmouth scramble following a Torquay corner, but the Reds held onto their precious lead and moved into the top five at the halfway stage in the season. 

Torquay United: Lavercombe, Butler, MacDonald, Murombedzi (Marsh 83), Richards, N Smith, Nicholson, Verma, Heslop (Briscoe, 88), Wright, Berry.
Subs: Gerring, Spiess, Carmichael.

Wrexham: Taylor, Newton, M Smith, Hudson, Fyfield, Moke (Caton 60), Carrington, Evans, Vose (Gray 74), Jennings, York (O'Brien 70). 
Subs: White, Nolan. 

Referee: Richard Martin (Bristol)
Attendance: 1,512 
Away: 96 

Bookings -
Wrexham: Vose (52, foul)

    Latest Match Reports