Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Dec 15 at 17:08 PM

Wrexham kept their dreams alive of a third FA Trophy Wembley appearance in four years after seeing off fellow favourites Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park.

Goals from Wes York, Dom Vose, Sean Newton and Manny Smith saw the Red Dragons convincingly overcome their nearby rivals 4-2 and put themselves in the hat for the second round draw. Although it wasn't all great news for Wrexham, as they may be without key holding midfielder Adriano Moke for a while, after he limped off early in the first half. 

The game was brought to life just four minutes in when Wrexham took the lead through some great team play. Adriano Moke taking on four Tranmere midfielders before playing in Dom Vose down the left, as the winger crossed first time to the waiting York to bundle home and send the 813 travelling fans wild.

Six minutes later and Tranmere were denied a surefire equaliser thanks to a point blank save from Rhys Taylor. The on-loan Newport man somehow getting a hand to Adam Mekki's close range strike, after James Norwood's first attempt had cannoned back off the post.

The majority of the first half saw the visitors penned back in their own half as Tranmere looked to find that all important equaliser, with their only attacking options coming in the form of quick counter attacks which were few and far between.

In the 25th minute, the away side will have been disappointed not to have tested the goal more after York's chance. Vose playing York over the top with a fantastic long range pass but the goalscorer could only find the gloves of Scott Davies rather than the back of the net.

Straight down the other end and Tranmere nearly made Wrexham pay for the missed opportunity. Lee Vaughan's whipped ball in from the left hand side causing the North Wales side more problems, as they left two men free at the back post, only for Taylor to frustrate Mekki again with another great save.

The Reds then suffered their biggest blow of the game in the 34th minute, as Adriano Moke, who has been plagued by injuries all season, had to be replaced by Mark Carrington, after a heavy challenge in the build up to the opening goal finally forced the Portuguese man off.

A minute before half time and it was Wrexham that doubled their lead, completely against the run of play. A clever one-two between Vose and Jennings started off the attack, Vose then cut inside to curl a shot into the far right corner past the outstretched Davies, as chants of "he's magic you know" rang around Prenton Park.

Just as the visitors had looked to be going into the break with a 2-0 lead, Tranmere grabbed one back in the last minute of the four added at the end of the first half. A defensive mix up from Blaine Hudson and Jamal Fyfield left Norwood free on the edge of the box to fire the ball into the roof of the net.

In the 56th minute, Vose nearly added the third for Wrexham, as the Tranmere defenders stepped off, allowing the star man to cut inside and go for goal from 30 yards out, only for the wind to take the ball just wide of the post.

Shortly after and Wrexham did add their third. Ross White with a great cross from the right hand side finding Newton free in the box, his first attempt hitting the post before rebounding nicely back to his feet,  as he swiveled and tapped the ball in from two yards out, as the out of position left back ran off to celebrate in front of the travelling faithful.

Gary Mill's men were in ruthless fashion all day and in the 66th minute made it 4-1. A routine corner from Newton was met by Smith, who leapt above everyone to head it high into the net. Further celebrations ensued behind the goal as down at the other end floods of home fans left the ground disappointed with their side's performance. 

As the game looked to be teetering out in the final stages, Norwood doubled his tally in the 81st minute to make it 4-2 with a fine strike. The midfielder, who's been a danger all day, found the ball at his feet on the edge of the box and drove a well hit shot hard and low past Taylor, making it a nervy final ten minutes for the away side. 

But Wrexham had clearly learnt from their earlier season mistakes, as they managed to hold out and secure the well-earned victory, with Gary Mills' men continuing on their road to Wembley.

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, Vaughan, McNulty, S Jennings, Ihiekwe, Tomlinson (Dawson 67, Sutton 90+2)), Mekki, Kirby (Mangan 67), Maynard, Ridehalgh, Norwood. 
Subs: Rutter, Sutton, Gumbs. 

Wrexham: Taylor, White, M Smith, Fyfield, Hudson, Newton, Moke (Carrington 34), Vose, Gray (Cofie 70), Jennings, York (O’Brien 80). 
Subs: Evans, Caton. 

Referee: Tom Nield (Cumbria) 
Attendance: 3,397 
Away: 813 

Bookings -
Tranmere: Vaughan (56, foul), Maynard (90+2, fouls),  
Wrexham: Newton (39, foul), 
Taylor (90+3, time wasting) 

    Latest Match Reports