Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Jan 16 at 23:09 PM

Trophy Run Ends Early

Wrexham’s run in this year's competition came to an end at the second hurdle, as we finished up on the wrong end of 1-0 scoreline in Devon. 

The only goal came late in the match, as the Gull's Shepherd Murombedzi made himself a local hero by slotting the ball home when give plenty of time, after two defenders went for the same ball and it ran clear for the substitute.  

The game's first real action of note came on 11 minutes, when Wes York surged through the middle of the park and shot from the edge of the box, although his effort drifted wide.

On 18 minutes, the home side breached the Wrexham defence for the first time, as Tyrone Marsh raced to the byline on the right and pulled his cross into the near post, where Andre Wright got to the ball just ahead of Jamal Fyfield, but sent his shot wide from six yards out.

Just over the half hour and Connor Jennings was booked for bringing down Courtney Richards, it was a yellow card that was coming though after a series of fouls.

Two minutes later and there was a lucky left off for the Welshmen, as a hard cross into the Wrexham box appeared to come off the fist of Fyfield. The referee was unimpressed and waved play on, with the nearside assistant unsighted.

A couple of minutes before the break and more good possession by Wrexham saw the ball worked into Dominic Vose 18 yards from goal, but his effort was deflected wide for a corner.

Ht 0-0

Three minutes into the second half and Rob Evans had a shot that was blocked for a corner and as the flag kick came in, it was headed away to Adriano Moke, but shot went well wide.

United’s Angus MacDonald was then booked for going into the back of James Gray, although it there did seem that the home side should have had a foul in the build-up.

Full back Sean Newton send in a free kick that hit the side netting with the home keeper fooled and it was close, as Lavercombe was struggling to get across his goal to cover.

Torquay went straight to the other end of the pitch and a cross reached Tyrone Marsh at he back post, whose effort was well blocked by Rhys Taylor. The keeper then followed that up by denying a long range shot from Aman Verma shot with a flying save.

MacDonald should have scored for United on 62 minutes, when Taylor came to punch clear a free kick, but it went straight to the home captain who had a clear sight of goal. Happily, Fyfield was in the right place to clear the close range header off the line. 

Just after the hour and the United keeper came well out of goal to kick clear, Robbie Evans picked up the ball and fired it back, but it drifted wide from 30 yards.

On 70 minutes, Lavercombe tipped over a Newton free kick from the right that was goal bound all the way.

Shortly afterwards a Newton pile driver from 30 yards was once again dealt with by Lavercombe – who produced a great save. Vose then saw his effort curl passed the back post, as Wrexham lifted the pace with less than 20 minutes remaining.

Although it was Torquay who took the lead on 80 minutes, when a ball over the top of the Wrexham defence saw substitute Shepherd Murombedzi left on his own and he had time to spare before firing home what turned out to be the winner.

Both Blaine Hudson and Johnny Smith were sent on for the closing few moments, as the Reds looked for a way back into the match.

In the last minute there was one final chance, when a ball over the top set Kayden Jackson free wide on the right and while his chip from a tight angle beat Lavercombe, it passed agonisingly wide of the far post.

Torquay United: Lavercombe, Butler, MacDonald, Geohaghon (Murombedzi 55), Marsh, Richards, N Smith, Nicholson, Verma, Wright, Berry.
Subs: Fisher, Gerring, Hancox, Finch.

Wrexham: Taylor, Carrington, M Smith, Fyfield, Newton, Evans, Jennings, Moke (Hudson 84), York (J Smith 88), Gray (Jackson 78), Vose.
Subs: White, Royle.

Referee: D Treleaven (Dorset)
Attendance: 1,361 
Away: 43 

Bookings -
Torquay: MacDonald (49, foul), Wright (68, foul), Marsh (84 time wasting) 
Wrexham: Jennings (32, foul), Evans (90, dissent) 

    Latest Match Reports