Skip to main content

REPORT | FGR 3-0 Wrexham

Posted: Sat 18 Mar 2017
Author: @wrexham_afc
Match Report

Match Report

Image by: Media Team

Rovers go joint top after seeing off the Dragons...

Rovers gained ample revenge for their 3-1 defeat in North Wales, as they comprehensively beat Wrexham at the New Lawn.

We almost saw out the first half, but in the 45th minute defender Dale Bennett finnished off from close range after we failed to clear our lines at a free kick.

Then two minutes into the second half and Liam Noble scored with a penalty, before Doidge rounded things off with a third just after the hour.

Manager Dean Keates made one change to hs starting line up with Jordan White recalled to face the Green Devils, while Ntumba Massanka was named on the bench. 

He also included latest signing Iffy Allen, for the first time, as one of the five substitutes, but Leo Smith was given a rest. 

After just three minutes, Dunn was called on to produce a save that denied Carter and while the resulting corner was headed over by the home side, it set the tone for the rest of the afternoon.

Not long after, a FGR free kick was played into the Wrexham area, Riley went to ground, but ball bounced through for a goal kick anyway...

The home sode lost centre half Ethan Pinnock has hobbled off and replaced by Wedgbury.

Middway through the half and the Reds enjoyed their first period of concerted pressure around the home goal, albeit without actually worrying ex-Dragon Sam Russell.

On 26 minutes, Riley was booked for a foul 30 yards out, although the free kick went several yards wide.

The wind was not helping FGR, as a Wedgbury cross from the right wing was picked up and carried long over Dunn's cross bar.

With eight minutes of the half remaining, Dunn was quickly to the edge of his box, has to dip to head as it was just over the line and is caught by Woolery's boot, FGR man booked

On 43 minutes, Ellis reacted to a foul by Jennings on Cooper and as these things tend to play out, the referee booked Jennings and Ellis, while adding Barry to his list - presuambly for dissent of some sort.

Right on 45 minutes, White was booked for what looked very little, but the free kick was dropped into the Wrexham box and following a melee, Dale Bennett finishes off from seven yards out.

Ht FRG 1-0 Wrexham

Just two minutes into the second half and we found ourselves two goals behind, as Riley was tricked by Woolery on the edge of the box and seemed to catch him to give the home side their spot kick.

Liam Noble stepped forward to send Dunn the wrong way from 12-yards.

On 52 minutes, there was a double sub for the Reds as Massanka and Allen replaced, McLeod and Barry respectively.

On the hour, Dunn produced another top class save, this time denying Carter.

The game was over as a contest on 63 minutes, as Christian Doidge beat the offside, ran through on the left and his high chip over the exposed Dunn still managed to bounce into the net!

As the clock counted down, and we were waiting the final whistle, FGR went in search of a fourth goal - this time though Dunn denied Carter with a spectacular save.

A day to forget as the promotion chasing Green Devils put us to the sword.

Forest Green: Russell, Kelly, Pinnock (Wedgbury 18), Ellis, Bennett, Traore (Sinclair 73), Kelly, Carter, Woolery, Noble, Doidge (Bugiel 67), Cooper.
Subs: Wishart, Robert. 

Wrexham: Dunn, Carrington, Tilt, Riley, Jennings, Penn (Evans 89), Barry (Allen 52), Shenton, Rutherford, White, McLeod (Massanka 52). 
Subs: Jalal, Harry. 

Referee: S Allison (Wilts) 
Attendance: 2,146
Away: 295

Bookings -
FGR: Woolery (38, foul), Carter (38, dissent), Ellis (43, dissent)
Wrexham: Riley (26, foul), Barry (43,dissent), Jennings (43, foul), White (44, foul)