Skip to main content

RESERVES | Wrexham 2-2 Burton Albion

Posted: Wed 15 Feb 2017
Author: @wrexham_afc
Central League

Central League

Image by: Football League

Young Reds hold Brewers to a draw...

The Reserves played out a score draw with Burton at Colliers Park, after fighting back from conceding an early penalty.

Albion’s Ben Fox fired the visitors in front after only six minutes, when they were awarded the spot kick for a foul by centre half Ben Barratt.

The Reds reacted quickly though and on 10 minutes we were level, as Leo Smith capitalised on a backpass and walked the ball into an empty net.

Wrexham were enjoying the better of possession and on 23 minutes took the lead, when Jamie McColl fired home from the left, following a good passage of play down our right flank had worked the ball into the danger zone.

Just before the interval, Harry Campbell in the Albion goal had made a good save to concede a corner. From the flag kick, there followed an almighty melee in the visitors’ six-yard box that saw the ball three times stopped when a goal looked certain and also Khaellem Bailey-Nicholls hit the cross bar with a header.

Burton were to take advantage of this let off with a much improved second half display and they drew level on 66 minutes, when the impressive Charlie Dowd escaped our back line to fire a low shot into the Wrexham net.

Apart from a great chance in the closing minutes of the match, when we fired wide when well placed, it was the Brewers who looked the most likely to grab all three points.

In the end, a draw was probably a fair reflection over the full 90 minutes.

Striker Bailey-Nicholls had his first outing since dislocating a shoulder while playing on loan at Nantwich Town and skipper Rob Evans also played his first full game in a number of weeks.

Wrexham: Owen Kirkham, Ben Burrows, Ben Barratt, Doug Tharme, Ryan Williams, Rob Evans, Jamie McColl, Scott McHarrie (Tommy Creamer 47), Leo Smith, Khaellem Bailey-Nicholls, Jordan White (George Harry 46).
Sub: Dane Rigby.

Burton Albion: Campbell, Cooke, Hutchinson, Vale (Harrison 89), Tandy (Ganley 68), Cotterill, Steele (Thompson-Matthews 65), Saville, Harness, Dowd, Fox.
Subs: Hawkins, Davies.

Referee: Richard Abson

Booking -
Wrexham: Tharme (59, foul)