Skip to main content

YOUTH REPORT | Wrexham 1-0 Accrington Stanley

Posted: Tue 14 Feb 2017
Author: David Roberts

Reds record a well deserved success in the Youth Alliance League...

Wrexham moved off the foot of the EFL Youth Alliance North West table following a deserved 1-0 win over Accrington Stanley at The Rock, home of Cefn Druids, last Saturday morning.

On a bitterly cold day, the young Reds went into the game on the back of some encouraging recent displays and Scott McHarrie’s 17th minute strike sealed a first home league win of the season and completed a notable double in the process.

“It was great to get the win,” commented coach Joey Jones.  “The lads have played far better than their league position suggests this season and hopefully this result will give them a real boost.”

After a cagey opening, the game sprang to life on the quarter hour mark when Wrexham keeper Owen Kirkham did well to save Harry Blackburn’s goal bound effort.

The home side responded immediately with Tommy Creamer testing the Accrington goalkeeper with a snap shot.  The resultant poor clearance from the Stanley right-back Harry Perritt saw McHarrie pick up the ball some 25 yards from goal.  A fine first touch set up the opportunity for the midfielder to fire home a low right-foot shot in off the post to the delight of his teammates.

In a game of few chances, Wrexham could feel justifiable aggrieved to have a claim for a penalty turned down on 25 minutes when Creamer was bundled over inside the area.

A lapse in defensive concentration then allowed Zhen Mohammed a free header from a right-wing corner but his powerful effort just cleared the crossbar as a young Stanley side finally managed to get a foothold in the game.

Half-time saw Carl Spellman replace the injured Llyr Griffiths at right-back and Wrexham began the second period brightly with Jamie McColl shooting inches wide when he seemed certain to double the Reds’ advantage.

That miss almost proved costly on the hour when Accrington captain Luke Moran saw an inswinging corner hit the crossbar and rebound to safety.

Much of the visitors’ best play waschannelled through Perritt who looked to get forward at every opportunity and he fired narrowly wide a few minutes later.

However, with the Wrexham rearguard holding firm, and Kirkham commanding his area well, that proved to be the last major scare for the home side.

Creamer had two further opportunities to put the result beyond doubt.  On 72 minutes his jinking run took him past two defenders before failing to find the target and then just three minutes later he won the ball off Stanley substitute Alex O’Neill but could only watch as his shot flew over the bar.

The joy on the faces of the Wrexham youngsters at the final whistle was clear for all to see, as they tasted victory for only the second time in 16 league matches.  And news of Carlisle United’s 3-2 home defeat by Walsall capped a fine weekend as Wrexham moved above the Cumbrians on goal difference.

Wrexham: Owen Kirkham, Llyr Griffiths (Carl Spellman 46), Ben Barrett, Doug Tharme, Jack Thorn, Ben Burrows, Cameron McGregor, Ryan Williams, Scott McHarrie, Tommy Creamer, Jamie McColl.
Subs: Dane Rigby, Sean Jones, Matty Sargent.

Referee: D Jones