Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

03 August 2021 Venue Poolfoot Farm Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Fleetwood Town
0 - 4
Wrexham AFC
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Fleetwood 0-4 Wrexham

Reds' secure victory in third summer

4 August 2021

Paul Mullin and Jake Hyde combined to put Fleetwood to the sword, as Wrexham stormed to a dominant win against a mixed home team.

Though officially the Cod Army’s Under-23 team, the hosts did field senior players including Callum Camps, Anthony Pilkington and Darnell Johnson.

But Hyde scored twice, and Mullin and Jordan Ponticelli also netted as Wrexham followed up Saturday’s win against Tamworth with a dominant victory at Poolfoot Farm.

The Reds handed first games of the summer to new signing Harry Lennon and back-to-back Player of the Year Luke Young.

And the visitors – in their green away shirts – took just five minutes to take the lead, as Paul Mullin followed in from close-range when Shaun Brisley’s header, from Jordan Davies’ corner, was saved.

Barry Baggley looked to hit back for Fleetwood, but curled his low, long-range shot just wide after patient build-up by the Cod Army.

Within a minute, however, Wrexham had doubled their advantage. After a lovely passing move, Mullin threaded an inch-perfect pass through to Hyde, who finished low across goal.

Wrexham remained on top, and Hyde was only just beaten at the near post to Davies’ inswinging corner on the quarter-hour.

The striker then headed wide across goal on 20 minutes, from Reece Hall-Johnson’s right-wing cross.

Young’s fierce strike from distance deflected wide on the half-hour, but Wrexham remained on top and added a third on 37 minutes.

Another good team move saw a trialist release Mullin, who pulled back for Hyde to spin and fire into an empty net.

Dior Angus and Max Cleworth replaced Hyde and Lennon at half-time as the visitors continued to manage the workload of the new signings.

On 47 minutes, Tyler French missed a good chance to add a fourth – mistiming his header, unmarked, from Davies’ corner.

A minute later, new Fleetwood signing Anthony Pilkington fired a left-footed shot well over the bar.

At the other end, Mullin turned his man and crossed to the back post, but a trialist headed wide on 62 minutes.

Mullin, Davies, Young and Hall-Johnson were replaced by Dan Jarvis, Liam McAlinden, Jordan Ponticelli and a trialist on 62 minutes.

Two minutes later, Christian Dibble spread his body to save well and deny Baggley but Wrexham soon settled back into their rhythm.

They were rewarded on 70 minutes, when Angus whipped in a brilliant right-wing cross, leaving Ponticelli to turn in from very close-range.

That was the signal for three more changes, as youngsters Dan Davies and Joe Fountain, as well as Cameron Green, all came on.

Darnell Johnson headed over for Fleetwood on 86 minutes, and Angus shot straight at the goalkeeper from Ponticelli’s flick on moments later.

There were no further goals, however, as Steve Parkin – managing the team as Phil Parkinson isolates at home after a positive COVID test – enjoyed a winning afternoon.

Line-ups: Wrexham: Dibble, French (Fountain 70), Brisley (D.Davies 70), Lennon (Cleworth 46), Hall-Johnson (McAlinden 62), J.Davies (Jarvis 62), Young (Trialist C 62), Trialist A (Bickerstaff 74), Trialist B (Green 70), Hyde (Angus 46), Mullin (Ponticelli 62).

Fleetwood Town: Crellin, Bird, Hayes, Boyle, D.Johnson, Teale, C.Johnson, Baggley, Edmondson, Camps, Pilkington.

Subs: Wilson, Rees, Conn-Clarke, Thompson, Raffie, McMillan

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account