Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
09 November 2021 Venue The EBB Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


Vanarama National League

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW | Aldershot Town v Wrexham

Take two in Hampshire as we travel to Aldershot once again

8 November 2021

After our frustrating journey to Aldershot in October ended in an abandoned match, Wrexham return to the Recreation Ground hoping to replicate the first half performance we put in on that occasion.

We led 2-0 at the break and were comfortably in control of the game, but must now start from scratch and win the three points all over again.

Phil Parkinson's side will have to do it without the presence of either of the scorers from that match, as Paul Mullin is suspended and Jake Hyde injured. However, the likes of Reece Hall-Johnson and David Jones, who were injured at the time of the first clash, are now available, and Luke Young, who was forced off after a robust tackle in the early stages of the abandoned match, got through 90 minutes last Saturday.

Strangely, Bryce Hosannah will be returning to the site of his Wrexham debut that never was!

As for Aldershot, they bounced back from their poor performance against Wrexham with a win at bottom side Dover, but since then have lost all four of their league games.

Narrow defeats to Stockport and Bromley were laudable efforts, but in their last two games they lost damagingly to Weymouth and Barnet, results which leave them second bottom of the table.

Furthermore, their home record remains disastrous: they have yet to pick up a point at home, and have lost 9 consecutive matches at The Recreation Ground. The only other side which has yet to earn a point at home in the top seven tiers of the pyramid are Barwell Town, and to be fair to them, they only played their first home game of the season last Saturday, as they were laying a new 3g pitch.


Aldershot H2H.png

Aldershot H2H - 2.png

Aldershot H2H - 3.png

When Aldershot dropped down into the National League, we immediately began a period of domination, winning four of our first six encounters while losing just one. Things have changed drastically since then, though, as we’ve won just two of our last ten clashes, losing five.

Last February we suffered a chastening experience at the hands of the Shots, losing 3-0 at the Recreation Ground. That result continued a dismal run of results there, as it was the fifth game consecutive game at Aldershot in which we’d failed to score. We lost four of them, and our last goal there was scored by Wes York in November 2015, 477 minutes ago.

Before their relegation, we didn’t face The Shots for twenty-two years.

That final Football League match, in March 1991, saw us fall behind early on and never get back on terms despite strikes by Gareth Owen and Geoff Hunter as we went down to a 3-2 loss.

That defeat merely added to the overall trend of our trips to Aldershot, as we’ve lost 16 of our 25 matches there, winning just four times.

Our first win there came in September 1969, when Albert Kinsey opened the scoring and Arfon Griffiths secured a 2-0 win with a penalty.

Our other two successes in the Football League were more dramatic. In September 1974 we fell behind early in the first half but recovered to win 2-1 through goals in the last quarter of an hour from Mickey Thomas and Dave Smallman.

The following season Mel Sutton gave us the lead but The Shots equalised before half time, only to see us once more take control with a couple of goals around the 75th minute mark. Brian Tinnion and Graham Whittle scored within two minutes of each other and although Aldershot swiftly pulled one back, we survived a nervous last ten minutes to clinch a 3-2 win.

We’ve won once at the Recreation Ground in the National League, in November 2015, courtesy of the Wes York strike I mentioned earlier.

Our worst experience there came in October 1985, when we crashed to a 6-0 defeat. It must have been a horrible experience for the fans who travelled from North Wales to watch the match, although there couldn’t have been many of them as the attendance was the lowest to see Wrexham play at The Recreation Ground: a mere 1,165.

David Smallman is our top scorer against The Shots, with four goals, three of which came in one game in March 1975. A goal behind him are Arfon Griffiths, Ray Smith, Sam McMillan and Martyn King, the last two having scored the only other hat tricks in this fixture.



Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Aldershot Town 0-5 Wrexham

Shots without a paddle as Reds wash away Hamps

9 November 2021

Who said you should never go back? Wrexham returned to the scene of that frustrating abandoned game and made full amends with a spectacular victory.

Phil Parkinson made four changes from the side which was unlucky to lose at Harrogate, while retaining a similar shape. Reece Hall-johnson made his first start since the opening day of the season, Dan Jarvis enjoyed a first league start of the campaign, while Harry Lennon and Bryce Hosannah returned to the back five. 

Wrexham started brightly, and enjoyed a couple of threatening moments in the opening five minutes. Hosannah burst past Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain and appeared to be fouled on the edge of the box, but the referee waved play on, and within a minute Luke Young swung in a terrific free kick from the right which Ben Tozer headed narrowly wide.

Aldershot started to gain a foothold in midfield at that point, and Wrexham were starting to reassert themselves when there was a 9-minute stoppage after Corie Andrews collided with Rob Lainton. The Wrexham keeper was flipped in the air by the challenge and landed on his face, requiring treatment to his recently broken nose. After a lengthy period of uncertainty, during which referee Sunny Gill appeared to signal that he had to leave the pitch, and he had to change both shirt and shorts in the goalmouth, with Christian Dibble putting his coat on and off as the signs from the pitch fluctuated, before it was decided Lainton could continue.

Wrexham continued to look bright after the resumption without initially carving out clear cut chances. Jordan Davies surged forwards well and lashed a shot over, but was fouled as he struck his shot. Scott Wagstaff received a yellow for his challenge, and Davies' resultant free kick was well struck but blocked by the jumping wall.

With six minutes left of the half a snappy break down the left earned a chance for Ben Tozer to hurl a long throw into the box. He took full advantage, securing his fourth assist of the season as Aaron Hayden leapt to plant a fine glancing header in off the post.

Four minutes later Wrexham doubled their lead from another set piece. This time, Hosannah capitalised on a poor touch by Oxlade-Chamberlain and was halted by a heavy challenge from the right back. Davies' free kick was cleared to James Jones, whose fierce shot was met by Hayden, who redirected it onto the bar. Luckily, the rebound fell to Lennon, who sidefooted the ball home from the edge of the box.

Within a minute it could have been 3-0. A cute ball round the corner by Jarvis sent Jordan Ponticelli one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but Walker saved well to his left. Jarvis did brilliantly to retrieve the ball on the left, cut inside and feed Jones, who pulled his shot wide.

After 10 minutes of added time the half came to a halt, with Wrexham holding the same 2-0 interval lead they'd enjoyed five weeks earlier.

Lainton didn't emerge for the second half, with Dibble replacing him for the second time in 7 games. The Shots opened the half positively, and a spell of pressure ended in a free kick which Andrews volleyed towards goal, his fierce strike hitting Corey Jordan and ricocheting wide.

Wrexham wisely calmed the storm with a lengthy spell of possession, which ended in the third goal. Jarvis opened up Aldershot's defence with a ball down the left to Hosannah, and his perfect pull-back was side-footed home by Hall-Johnson.

A remarkable passage of play two minutes later could have offered Aldershot a way back into the game, but instead ended with Wrexham four goals to the good. A free kick into the visitors' box was punched clear well by Dibble, and when the ball was played back in, Andrews drilled another powerful volley on goal. Dibble, who was partially unsighted, made an excellent parry low to his right, and then was able to save Mo Sylla's shot from the rebound.

Wrexham broke immediately, and scored a contender for goal of the season: Jones broke down the right, flicked the ball over a defender's head and swept in a glorious ball to the edge of the area where Ponticelli took a touch and curled an extravagant shot into the top right corner.

The Red Dragons weren't finished yet. Half way through the second half a Tozer throw was cleared but the centre-back's follow-up cross picked out Davies, who met it with a powerful header inside the post.

To their credit, Aldershot kept going and forced Dibble into another save when the unmarked Jordan nodded the ball down to Andrews, whose close range shot was deflected past the post by the keeper. With 11 minutes left, the home side came closest to a goal when a corner was met by a downward header by Lyons-Foster which smashed into the bar. 

The game petered out as Wrexham settled for five goals, with the home fans taunting their players with a chorus of "We want our money back!" The final whistle went 15 seconds early, as the referee showed pity on the home side. It was greeted by fierce booing and jubilant celebration as the contrasting fortunes of football were laid bare.

ALDERSHOT TOWN: L Walker, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Whittingham 46), Lyons-Foster, Jordan, Kinsella, Sylla (Willard 69), Glover, Wagstaff, Vennings, Ndjoli (Berkeley-Agyepong 61), Andrews, UNUSED SUBS: M Walker, Gorman.

WREXHAM: Lainton (Dibble 46), Hall-Johnson (Green 68), Hayden, Tozer, Lennon, Hosannah, Young, Jones, Davies, Jarvis, Ponticelli (Angus 79). UNUSED SUBS: Brisley, McAlinden.

Aldershot - Wagstaff, Oxlade-Chamberlain, AAndrews.
Wrexham - 

Aldershot - None
Wrexham - None

Referee: Sunny Gill

Attendance: 1,639

Wrexham fans - 247

Advertisement block

Ticket News

TICKETS AND TRAVEL | Aldershot Town (A)

Tickets and travel for trip to EBB Stadium now available

8 September 2021

Tickets for our away game at Aldershot Town are now available to buy online from the Shots’ ticket office.

The game, on Saturday October 2 at the EBB Stadium, kicks off at 3pm and Wrexham have been allocated an initial 850 tickets for the game, with provision for more available if required.

Wrexham supporters will be in the South East Seating and Away Terrace Covered, and will enter via the Redan Hill Entrance. There will be no tickets available on the turnstiles.

Tickets are available directly from Aldershot Town here, or over the phone on 01252 320211, and are priced as follows:

Adult: £20
Senior 65+: £16
Disabled: £16
Junior 17 and under: £7
Family Tickets – 2 adults, 3 juniors: £45
Family Tickets – 2 concession, 3 juniors: £40

Disabled /Carer tickets should be booked in advance via the ticket office, and carer tickets are not available online.

Supporter coaches are available to book from our official eTicketing website now. Buses will depart from the Mold Road at 08:00 on Saturday October 2 and cost £30 for adults and £28 for juniors.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account