Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

21 January 2023 Venue Gallagher Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


Vanarama National League

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW | Maidstone United vs Wrexham

Back to league action.

19 January 2023

After a week and a half's break, it's time to get back to business in the league.

The FA Trophy tie at Altrincham not only gave the players who had earned two gruelling wins against Coventry and Bromley a rest, but also offered an opportunity for a number of the squad to state their case for a starting place.

Injuries picked up against Bromley will hopefully have been shrugged off by now, but there's no need to rush players back thanks to the depth of squad Phil Parkinson has put together, which last Friday illustrated. Jake Bickerstaff's two goals, coming hot on the heels of Sam Dalby's goal and assist at the CBS Arena, certainly showed the options Parkinson has up front.


20/08/2022 Wrexham 5 (Mullin 9, 64 (pen), 83, Davies 39, Odusanya (o.g.) 45+3) Maidstone United 0

Paul Mullin's hat trick helped to earn Wrexham our biggest win in this fixture, in front of the biggest crowd to see us face The Stones.

M Howard, A Hayden, J Davies, M Cleworth, B Tozer, L Young, J Jones, A Forde (B Hosannah, 75), J Mendy, P Mullin (E Lee, 84), O Palmer (S Dalby, 79)
Subs not used: R Watson, T O'Connor      

Maidstone United
Y Mersin, J Cawley, J Ellul (J Alabi, 46), G Fowler, G Hoyte, R Booty, R Deacon, H Woods, D Odusanya (L Vincent, 60), J Barham, C Patterson (Hady Ghandour, 79)
Subs not used: B Gurung, T Hadler

Attendance: 9,863

Referee: David Richardson 

The Stones also experienced penalty shoot-out drama last weekend, and suggested they might be about to break out of a worrying cycle of recent form which has seen them drop into the relegation zone. Their victory at Notts County certainly showed they have the spirit for the fight.

It seems lately that virtually every side Wrexham come up against has either experienced a change of manager or is in the midst of a takeover. Maidstone tick both boxes.

The Stones are in the midst of a change of ownership. Local businessman and Stones fan Alan Manchett will buy a controlling interest from co-owners Terry Casey and Oliver Ash, who will continue to assist with the running of the club as the exchange of control takes place.

Alan is a lifelong supporter of the club and for the past two seasons his company Manchett Group has been one of its main business partners.

"Alan has a clear vision and ambition for the club that underpin not only long term security but also a desire to return in due course to the EFL.

"Alan is interested in long term projects, such developing the infrastructure of the Gallagher Stadium but has also committed to helping the club attempt to avoid relegation from the National League this season.

-Maidstone United's board of directors

Ash and Casey have achieved a great deal since taking over the club. They returned the club to Maidstone after 24 years of exile, two years after their 2010 takeover, having built the Gallagher Stadium near the town centre. Regular promotions have followed as the club has climbed back up the divisions.

Hakan Hayrettin achieved the most recent elevation, gaining promotion from the National League South last season, but their recent poor form led to him being relieved of his duties. He was able to look back with pride at his time with United though, as he told Kent Online.

"I tried my best with what I had. Yes, I made a couple of mistakes with signings, but the injuries we had killed me. The simple fact is the club doesn’t have the money to compete at this level (without the takeover). Working at this level isn’t a hobby, it’s a job."

Maidstone's main issue has been their away form. They have lost more league games on the road than anyone else in the division, and only Eastleigh and bottom of the table Scunthorpe United have fewer away points. At home they're more secure, although only Scunthorpe and Aldershot have suffered than their 5 home losses.

Six conscutive losses sealed Hayrettin's fate - The Stones haven't picked up any points since a 3-2 home win over Maidenhead in November - and George Elokobi has taken over as caretaker manager.

He started superbly with that fine triumph at Meadow Lane, and has been active in the transfer market despite his temporary status: Sam Bone has returned to his home town and Ryan Galvin, a loan signing who has made a positive impression, has extended his stay at the Gallagher Stadium.

In goal United can field a genuine young talent in Dan Barden, a Wales Under-21 international on loan from Norwich City. However, he will face competition from Tom Hadler, who was brought back into the side by Elokobi and saved two penalties at Meadow Lane last Sunday.

Another loan signing, midfielder Sha'mar Lawson, is impressing at the Gallagher Stadium, and is enjoying his time in Kent, but the arrival of Yoan Zouma a week before Hayrettin's arrival has been more devisive, with fans disconcerted by his high profile conviction for animal cruelty in June.



We’ve yet to win at Maidstone in the National League, and we’ve yet to win at the Gallagher Stadium, as all our away wins in this fixture came at their temporary home in the 1980s and 1990s.

The Stones got into the Football League during that period, but off-field issues meant they had to find a new home, and alighted upon Dartford’s Watling Street ground.

Our record there was excellent, with two of the three games we played there ending in victory.

Our first trip to Dartford, in October 1989, didn’t go well as we lost a Fourth Division game 2-0, but things improved from there as we began a 3-game unbeaten away run in this fixture.

First, Chris Armstrong and Gareth Owen scored in a 2-0 win almost exactly a year after our first trip to Dartford, and the following year we came out on top of a goal-laden match.

By the midway point in the first half we led 2-1, despite conceding first. Lee Jones equalised and 2 minutes later a rare Mel Pejic put us ahead.

We conceded an equaliser after the break, but in the closing stages Andy Thackeray and Owen struck to earn a 4-2 win.

Our next game at Maidstone was our first at the Gallagher Stadium. We looked set to maintain our winning streak despite the twin set-backs of conceding first and arriving late for the match! It seems Scunthorpe don’t hold a monopoly on tardiness!

Callum Powell had the best afternoon of his short Wrexham career, striking twice from the edge of the box to put us ahead, and we looked set fair for all three points until Curtis Tilt’s horribly under-hit back pass allowed the Stones to pinch a late equaliser.

The following season our unbeaten run ended in the most controversial circumstances. Again there was drama ahead of kick-off, as goalkeeper Chris Dunn picked up an injury in the warm up and had to be replaced by debutant Christian Dibble.

Alex Reid gave The Red Dragons a 10th minute lead, but by the break we were behind 2-1. The real drama came when Manny Smith was adjudged to have committed a professional foul in the penalty area and was shown a red card. When Mark Carrington correctly pointed out to the referee that he’d got the rules wrong and the offence was not worthy of a sending-off, he was dismissed too!

Down to nine men, Wrexham were handed hope when Dibble proceeded to save the penalty, and while our reduced side didn’t carve out any really clear chances, they applied more pressure than they did when they had a full side!

Our most recent visit to the Gallagher Stadium, in November 2018, saw us snatch a point thanks to a deflected Brad Walker strike.



Elliot Lee's 250th career game.


Max Cleworth's 75th career match.


Aaron Hayden's 75th Wrexham match.


Paul Mullin's 75th Wrexham game.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Maidstone United 2 – 3 Wrexham

Aaron Hayden's stoppage-time goal earns dramatic victory in Kent

21 January 2023

Aaron Hayden’s stoppage-time strike fired Wrexham to victory away to Maidstone, after the hosts’ had initially overcome a two-goal deficit to look like snatching a point.

Luke Young’s lofted left-footed goal gave Wrexham the lead at half-time, and Paul Mullin doubled the advantage from the spot, but Jack Barham’s double pegged the visitors back.

Hayden’s close-range finish in the first minute of stoppage time sealed victory, however, as Wrexham moved level on points with league leaders Notts County.

Sam Dalby replacing birthday boy Ollie Palmer in the starting line-up was Wrexham’s only change from the last league game – our 2-1 home win against Bromley 11 days ago.

After an unspectacular start, Maidstone nearly took the lead with their first real chance on the quarter-hour – Barham racing in over the top and shooting low across goal – but Mark Howard saved and held.

A minute later, Wrexham went closer – Callum McFadzean holding the ball up for Mullin, who crossed low for Dalby, but the ball was somehow deflected wide at the near post.

The chance invigorated the visitors, however, and Young released Anthony Forde on the right on 18 minutes, but the Irishman sliced a fierce shot wide with team-mates in the middle.

For Maidstone, Sha’mar Lawson took advantage of referee Aji Ajibola playing on when Sam Corne was fouled on 20 minutes, but Howard did well to parry his low, bouncing, 20-yard shot away from goal.

As the game opened up, Elliot Lee found Forde in space on the right in the 23rd minute, and this time he caught his shot well, but George Fowler slid in to deflect the goal-bound effort wide.

Two minutes later, McFadzean pulled the ball back for Mullin, who shot first-time on his left-foot, but this time it was Joe Ellul who produced the perfectly-timed block.

Mullin went close again on 29 minutes, when Jordan Tunnicliffe flicked Ben Tozer’s long throw on, but the striker’s headed looped onto the bar.

Just moments later, however, Wrexham were in front. Mullin raced in on the left, and though Mersin saved his low effort, the ball looped out to Young, who delivered a perfect, left-footed lob over the defenders and into the empty net.

Aaron Hayden nearly doubled the advantage on 38 minutes, meeting Tozer’s throw at the near post but heading just wide.

Sam Corne almost levelled in the 42nd minute, skipping through a challenge and into the area, but his right-footed shot flashed just wide across goal.

Mersin then kept the deficit at one goal just a minute before the interval, when Forde darted inside from the right and curled a left-footed shot goalwards, which the keeper tipped wide.

Half-time took the sting out of the game a little, though with a better first touch Dalby would have been in on goal on 51 minutes after Mullin’s pass.

At the other end, Regan Booty managed to drive into the area only for Jordan Tunnicliffe to stop him in his tracks and deflect Lawson’s follow-up over too.

Mullin doubled the lead on 59 minutes, however – picking himself up to rifle a penalty into the bottom corner after being pulled down in the area.

Barham pulled one back for the hosts on 72 minutes, when a shot deflected into his path and he finished low from close-range.

Barham then levelled in the 79th minute, heading across goal – unmarked at the back post – to nod Booty’s cross beyond Howard.

Substitute James Alabi then cut inside on 85 minutes and curled a left-footed shot just wide across goal.

Just as the fourth official was indicating four minutes added on, however, Hayden beat Mersin to O’Connor’s corner to hook the ball in from close range.


Maidstone: Mersin, Fowler (Alabi 74), Bone, Ellul, Binnom-Williams, Booty, Deacon, Lawson (Pattison 60), Corne, Galvin, Barham

Subs: Barden, Odusanya, Joe

Wrexham: Howard, Hayden, Tozer, Tunnicliffe (J.Jones 86), Forde, Young, O’Connor, McFadzean, Lee, Dalby (Palmer 70), Mullin

Subs: Lainton, McAlinden, Cleworth

Referee: Aji Ajibola

Attendance: 3,341 (486 away)

Bookings: O’Connor (65, foul), Lee (70, foul), Hayden (90+2, ungentlemanly conduct)

Maidstone: Binnom-Williams (26, foul), Lawson (53, ungentlemanly conduct)

Advertisement block

Ticket News

TICKET NEWS | Maidstone United (A) on sale to season-ticket holders on Friday

Wrexham allocated 500 tickets for away league game

28 December 2022

Tickets for our Vanarama National League match away to Maidstone United on Saturday January 21 will be on sale to Wrexham AFC season-ticket holders from Friday (December 30) at 10am.

The match at the Gallagher Stadium kicks off at 3pm, with the Red Dragons making the journey to Maidstone for the first time since 2018.

Season-ticket holders will have a priority window, with 500 tickets available for the game, until Tuesday January 3, 2022. The away end at the Gallagher Stadium is an all-standing terrace, with 30 priority seats available on a first come first served basis. These cannot be reserved in advance.

Any remaining tickets will go on sale to members on January 3 at 10am. Members will then have until Friday January 6 at 10am, when any remaining tickets will be released on general sale.

For information on how to ensure your eTicketing account is up-to-date and correctly set up to allow you to purchase tickets for your friends and family network, please see these instructions.

Tickets are priced as follows:

Adults - £19
Concessions (65+/students) - £15
Youth (11-16)- £9
Juniors (under 11) - £3

Supporters requiring companion tickets for the match should contact Wrexham AFC Disability Liaison Officer, Kerry Evans, at  

Official coach travel will be available for the game, via the Wrexham AFC eTicketing account. Coach travel will cost of £35 for adults and £33 for under-16s, with coaches set to depart the Mold Road at 7am. Please note, under-14s must be accompanied on official supporter travel and alcohol is strictly prohibited by law.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account