Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:15 (UK)

Buy tickets
26 November 2022 Venue Racecourse Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:15 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW | Wrexham vs Farnborough

Wrexham's home record is perfect, but has a side arrived at The Racecourse this season in better form than Farnborough?

23 November 2022

You don't need me to explain the link between Wrexham AFC and giant-killing, but this match is  a chance for the tables to be turned. Farnborough might be a mid-table team from the division below the Red Dragons, but they have cup fighters written all over them.

Phil Parkinson will know that he needs to be wary ahead of this second round FA Cup tie. With the potential glory and riches of the third round on the horizon, this is no time for slip-ups.

With players beginning to return from injury, a top of the table position to protect and a terrific momentum achieved at home, it might be tempting to rotate his side to give players pitch time. However, Parkinson is wise enough to be aware of the pitfalls of giving in to such temptation. Farnborough have giant killers written all over them.

The Yellows might be 15th, essentially equidistant between the promotion and relegation spots, but their form is terrific. There's no question that, after a shaky start, long-serving manager Spencer Day has got his team on a sharply upward trajectory.

They lost seven of their first ten matches this season, but since then are unbeaten, with five wins from eight games. It wasn't an easy run of games either: Weymouth were the only side in the bottom half of the table that they came across, and wins were recorded over Oxford City, Worthing and Dartford, who were each in the top six. Last week they went to another promotion contender, Braintree Town, and emerged with a goalless draw.

Their capacity to resist opposing attacks is the solid foundation upon which the side is built. They've only conceded two goals in their last six games, and boast the fourth-best defence in the division, conceding an average of a goal a game.

Admittedly, goals have been an issue at the other end. Only four sides have scored fewer than Boro in The National League South, all of whom are below them with three of them in the relegation zone. They've been prolific in the cup competitions, though. To get to the first round of the FA Cup they knocked out Hayes & Yeading before scoring five at Swindon Supermarine and then seven against Biggleswade. 

In fact, they've scored more in five FA Cup matches this season than they have in 17 league games! You can throw in a 7-2 FA Trophy beating of Cove for good measure if you want, too, and last weekend they enjoyed a 1-0 win at Hampton & Richmond Borough in the competition.

There's no question that their most spectacular result of the season came in the last round of the FA Cup though. A 2-0 win at League Two Sutton United was a superb result, secured through late goals by Michael Fernandes and Francis Amartey.The duo came on together in the 81st minute, and five minutes later Fernandes had opened the scoring. Amartey would follow suit in the sixth minute of added time.


We’ve never played Farnborough before, although we nearly faced them in what would have been an historic occasion for both clubs!

After beating Arsenal in the third round in 1992, we had to wait to discover our opponents at the next stage. That was because Farnborough were busy pulling off an upset of their own: indeed, they deserved a great deal more praise and attention than they got, but our beating of Arsenal stole the limelight.

They weren’t given much of a chance when the third round draw paired them with top division opposition. A home tie against West Ham United was a difficult assignment, and bringing the Irons to their own patch didn’t turn out to be feasible.

Farnborough had to forego home advantage and swap Cherrywood Road for Upton Park in order to cope with anticipated crowd. They would get even more of a cash bonus than they’d anticipated!

Farnborough were flying high: they had already beaten Torquay United, and as they strode onto the Upton Park pitch they stood in third position in the Conference. They also boasted Simon Read, the top scorer in that season’s competition.


It was Dean Coney who would be the hero though. The ex-Norwich player had retired from professional football eight months earlier through a knee injury, but his moment would come with 8 minutes left.

Farnborough battled heroically in front of a superb following of 3,000 travelling fans, holding out until the 66th minute when Julian Dicks put the Hammers ahead. Boro would not be denied, though, and Coney won an 82nd minute penalty when his goal-bound shot was handled on the line. He stepped up to beat Ludek Miklosko and earn a memorable draw.

The usual FA Cup ritual followed, as Farnborough’s fans and players gathered to hear which side they would face, should they come through the replay, which again would be played at Upton Park. The draw threw up a potential clash of the giant-killers, as they were paired with Wrexham at home in the fourth round.

There was a real chance the tie would have been played at The Racecourse, as Farnborough manager Ted Pearce suggested before the Upton Park replay that Cherrywood Road wouldn’t be able to host the fixture, and they’d probably ask Wrexham to switch venues.imagee8ty9.png

That debate was moot, as it turned out. Farnborough performed heroically once again but would suffer a cruel fate when Trevor Morley pounced to score the only goal of the match in the 89th minute.

Farnborough’s heroics didn’t end in triumph, and they didn’t get a chance to come to The Racecourse. Thirty years later, they finally get to make that trip.



Aaron Hayden’s 225th career game.

8fd9b5eb-67f7-495f-9cd1-7ea9c50986d2.jpgOllie Palmer’s 50th Wrexham appearance.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Wrexham AFC 4-1 Farnborough

Mullin hat-trick fires Wrexham into the FA Cup Third

26 November 2022

Paul Mullin’s hat trick inspired Wrexham to victory against Farnborough, sending the Red Dragons into the FA Cup third round for the first time since 2015.

Mullin’s opener was his 50th goal in Wrexham colours, and his second-half double made it twenty already for the 2022/2023 campaign.

Farnborough levelled the game just after the hour mark, as Oliver Pendlebury fired his free-kick goal bound, with Howard unable to save.

Elliot Lee put Wrexham back in front scoring his fourth of the season, with a curled effort from the edge of the area.

Phil Parkinson named two changes to the team that beat Aldershot in the Vanarama National League last time out.

Liam McAlinden and Sam Dalby both made the starting line-up, with Jacob Mendy back on the bench after a period out through injury.

Wrexham started the tie strong and threatened the Farnborough defence from set pieces.

Ben Tozer broke free at the back post in the early exchanges, but his drilled effort was well saved by Jack Turner.

The Yellows stopper was called into action moments later, making a superb double save from Jordan Davies, denying the number seven from point-blank range.

At the other end of the pitch, Mark Howard was called into action, making a smart save to stop Pendlebury in his tracks.

Jonathon Page came close to taking the lead for the visitors, as he unleashed a venomous volley from twenty-five yards out, that just sailed over the bar.

In the closing stages, there was some concern for Phil Parkinson; Jordan Davies left the pitch on a stretcher, after landing awkwardly on his left leg.

However, it only took Wrexham three minutes into the second half to break the deadline, as Mullin met Tunnicliffe’s flicked heading, poking the ball past Turner.

More pressure from the Red Dragons embarked on the visitor’s penalty area, and McFadzean should have doubled the lead, but he dragged his effort just wide of Turner’s post.

On the hour Farnborough equalised, Pendlebury struck a free kick from range, which Howard failed to save.

They could have taken the lead through Salim Saied, who jinxed his way into the area, forcing Howard into making a strong save.

Despite their chances, it was Wrexham who re-took the lead through a sublime strike from Elliot Lee, as he curled the ball into the top corner.

Mullin claimed his second and the Red Dragons third ten minutes from time, as a brilliant move started by Callum McFadzean, ended with the striker slamming the ball home.

And he finished the contest in style, finishing coolly past Turner, making it thirteen wins out of thirteen at the Racecourse this season.


Wrexham AFC: Howard (GK), McAlinden (Forde 68’), Hayden, Tozer, Tunnicliffe, McFadzean, Young ©, Davies (Jones 45’), Lee (O’Connor 88’), Mullin, Dalby (Palmer 68’)

Subs not used: Lainton, Hall-Johnson, Mendy, Lennon, Cleworth

Farnborough: Turner, Ball, Robinson, Norville-Williams, Grant (Deering 84’), Young, Lokko ©, Pendlebury, Page (Fearn 88’), Saied (Rowe 83’), Kasimu (Fernandes 85’)

Subs not used: Holmes

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account