Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

21 October 2023 Venue University of Bradford Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT | Bradford City 1-1 Wrexham AFC

Bantams level late on as points are shared in West Yorkshire

21 October 2023

Paul Mullin’s header was cancelled out late on in Bradford, as Wrexham claimed a point on the road.

Mullin headed Wrexham in front but substitute Adam Wilson’s late leveller ensured a share of the spoils at the University of Bradford Stadium.

On his return to Valley Parade, manager Phil Parkinson made three changes from the team which started last week’s win against Salford City.

Ryan Barnett returned after suspension, while Jordan Tunnicliffe replaced Aaron Hayden on the right of the back three and there was a first Wrexham start for Steven Fletcher up front.

Ollie Palmer dropped to the bench as a result, while Ben Tozer and fit-again Jacob Mendy also returned to the match-day squad among the substitutes.

Parkinson and assistant manager Steve Parkin were given a rousing reception by both sets of fans as they walked out of the tunnel.

The niceties were soon forgotten, however, when Paul Mullin picked up a yellow card just three minutes in for a late challenge. Three minutes later, Bradford captain Richie Smallwood followed his counterpart into the book for a foul on Elliot Lee.

Andy Cook had the first real chance of the game, but his first-time shot from a right-wing cross lacked the power to trouble Arthur Okonkwo in the 12th minute.

Just moments later Barnett crossed for Mullin at the other end, but the Wrexham captain’s looping header dropped wide.

Wrexham wanted a penalty on the quarter-hour, after Fletcher wriggled free in the area and went to ground as he shaped to shoot, but referee Ross Joyce was unmoved.

Three minutes later, Barnett whipped a vicious right-wing cross in to find Mullin unmarked at the back post, but the striker’s difficult diving header went wide.

Bradford responded with some shots from distance – Emmanuel Osadebe shooting wide on 20 minutes, and Jamie Walker firing tamely at Okonkwo two minutes later after Eoghan O’Connell gave the ball away.

Cook and Walker combined again for Bradford in the 36th minute, but Tom O’Connor did well to block the latter’s volley.

Fletcher twisted onto his left-foot and shot from distance on 38 minutes, but it looped off a defender and Harry Lewis saved comfortably.

At the other end, Walker found space to shoot left-footed but O’Connell stuck an important boot out to deflect it over.

Mullin and Fletcher then combined brilliantly in the 45th minute to release the latter, but he dragged his left-footed shot well wide.

Goalless at the break, both sides shot towards their own supporters in the second-half, although the first two big chances fell Bradford’s – and Walker’s way.

First, he turned onto his left foot in the area on 52 minutes but Evans slid in to block his low shot at the near post.

Then, on 65 minutes, he spun again and shot through a crowd which, after a couple of deflections, Okonkwo did well to scramble low to his left and turn wide.

Parkinson’s response was to make the first change of the game – with Palmer replacing Fletcher up front.

It made an immediate impact too, as just moments later Wrexham were in front. Mullin started the move, turning a loose ball back for Jones to release Barnett on the right. The winger stood a cross up and Mullin raced through to head in.

Both sides made changes, with Mendy on for Barnett for Wrexham, before Walker and Osadebe were replaced by Tyler Smith and Rayhaan Tulloch for the hosts.

Bradford were level with five minutes remaining, however, when substitute Wilson – after his first shot was blocked well in defence – fired a rising shot in off the underside of the crossbar.

Palmer’s attempted backheel, from James McClean’s left-wing cross, went wide on 87 minutes, before Jordan Davies replaced Elliot Lee for Wrexham’s final change.

With eight minutes added on, Palmer worked space on the right of the area in the second of those but his shot was blocked.

Disaster then nearly struck for Wrexham in the 95th minute, when they failed to deal with a ball to the back post and a deflection off O’Connell rolled excruciatingly wide across goal.

Neither side could find a late winner, however, as Wrexham returned to North Wales with a point for their endeavours in West Yorkshire.


Wrexham: (3-5-2): Okonkwo, Tunnicliffe, O’Connell, O’Connor, Barnett (Mendy 82), Evans, J.Jones, Lee (Davies 88), McClean, Fletcher (Palmer 67), Mullin

Subs: Howard, Tozer, Dalby, Boyle

Bradford City: (4-2-3-1): Lewis, Halliday, Taylor, Stubbs, Ridehalgh, Gilliead, Smallwood, Pointon (Wilson 77), Walker (Smith 84), Osadebe (Tulloch 84), Cook

Subs: Doyle, Oduor, Kelly, Oyegoke

Attendance: 21,552 (2,624 away)

Referee: Ross Joyce


Bradford: Smallwood (6, foul), Taylor (26, foul), Pointon (37, foul)

Wrexham: Mullin (3, foul), Evans (29, foul)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account