Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wrexham 2-1 Boreham Wood

3 October 2020

Match Reports

Wrexham 2-1 Boreham Wood

3 October 2020

Luke Young’s brilliant free-kick earned Wrexham victory at home to Boreham Wood as competitive football finally returned to the Racecourse.

Reece Hall-Johnson scored Wrexham’s first goal of the season on his debut at a wet and rainy Racecourse before Young struck the winner after Kieran Murtagh’s equaliser.

Wrexham started with eight of the 11 summer signings, while Shaun Pearson was missing at the back – where Fiacre Kelleher partnered Theo Vassell.

Seven months after the last Vanarama National League match at the Racecourse, and with fans tuning in worldwide to watch the stream, it was the Wood who started better.

It took a fine double save from Rob Lainton in the opening couple of minutes to keep Wrexham level as he saved from Sorba Thomas and denied Kabongo Tshimanga from point-blank range.

Lainton saved again from Thomas on four minutes as Wrexham struggled to get a foothold in the game.

And it was Thomas, causing plenty of problems on the left-wing, who was denied again on 11 minutes, after cutting inside and winning a free-kick.

Corey Whitely was unfortunate on 21 minutes, when his shot cannoned off Matt Rhead and deflected wide and he shot wide again four minutes later.

Wrexham lost debutant Adi Yussuf to injury on 23 minutes – replaced by first-year pro Jake Bickerstaff.

The Dragons then took the lead, against the run of play, through debutant Hall-Johnson. Occupied by Thomas throughout, he took full advantage of a rare chance to drive forward and unleashed a thundering shot that deflected in.

That changed the tempo of the game, and Theo Vassell missed a great chance to double the lead on 41 minutes – heading wide at the back post, unmarked, from Young’s free-kick.

Though Wrexham started the second-half brighter, it looked as though they might rue that miss when Murtagh’s glancing header brought Wood level on 61 minutes.

But Elliott Durrell cut inside and won a free-kick in a central position on 70 minutes, and Young stepped up to curl over the wall and in.

Boreham Wood threw men forward in reply but Wrexham, led by Fiacre Kelleher, stood firm to start the season with all three points.

Wrexham (4-4-2): Lainton; Hall-Johnson, Kelleher, Vassell, Reckord; Durrell (Horsfield 89), Harris, Young, Jeffrey (Rutherford 80); Thomas, Yussuf  (Bickerstaff 23).
Subs not used: Dibble, Ponticelli.

Boreham Wood (4-2-3-1): Ashmore, Smith, Champion, Fyfeld, Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Murtagh, Rhead, Whitely (Coulthirst 76), Thomas, Tshimanga.
Subs not used: Stephens, Mingoia, Mafuta, Francois-Angol.

Referee: Andrew Miller (Co Durham)

Booked -
 Vassell (35, foul), Hall-Johnson (60, foul)
Boreham Wood: Ricketts (45, foul), Murtagh (68, foul)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account