Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Spennymoor 2-2 Wrexham

Parkin's side settled for friendly draw

7 August 2021

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Spennymoor 2-2 Wrexham

Parkin's side settled for friendly draw

7 August 2021

Luke Young scored a fine free-kick but a spirited Spennymoor comeback ensured Wrexham’s fourth pre-season friendly ended in a draw.

Young curled Wrexham in front in the first-half, and Jake Hyde’s tap-in doubled the lead after the break.

Frank Mulhern’s deflected effort and a Glen Taylor penalty saw the National League North side pull the game back, however.

With Phil Parkinson still isolating, Steve Parkin led the team again as Wrexham shuffled the pack once more from the team which beat Fleetwood so comfortably in mid-week.

A late injury for Harry Lennon meant he was not risked, with a trialist filling in at centre-back alongside Tyler French and Shaun Brisley, in front of Christian Dibble.

Reece Hall-Johnson and Cameron Green were at wing-back, with a second trialist partnering Young – captain for the day – in midfield. Paul Mullin and Hyde continued their burgeoning partnership up front, with Liam McAlinden just behind them.

Spennymoor were tidy in possession, however, and passed the ball well in the opening exchanges.

At the other end, Mullin was fouled on the edge of the box on six minutes but his swerving, knuckle-ball free-kick missed the target.

McAlinden then burst forward through the middle on 14 minutes but was fouled just within shooting distance outside the box.

Though Young had options to cross, he spotted a gap at the near post and curled his free-kick around the wall and just inside the post to open the scoring.

A feisty encounter ensured there was no shortage of crunching tackles and the game was stop-start as a result.

Unfortunately, Brisley came off worse from one of them – mistiming a 50-50 tackle on Rob Ramshaw – and was forced off injured.

Spennymoor could not take advantage of the subsequent free-kick, which Taylor drilled into the wall, or from a corner moments later on 25 minutes.

Wrexham nearly doubled the lead on 28 minutes, meanwhile, when Mullin dinked a pass through to Hyde, whose shot flashed wide across goal with Green unable to steer home too.

Spennymoor finished the half well, however, and French nearly put through his own net on 43 minutes when he misplaced a back post – which bounced off the post and wide.

From the resultant corner, Taylor won his header at the back post but a combination of Dibble and Hall-Johnson kept it out.

Wrexham remained in front at half-time, however, and doubled their lead on 49 minutes. Young’s dipping shot was saved from distance and Green’s rebound was blocked, but Hyde was on hand to tap in.

Spennymoor did well to come back into the game, however, with Ramshaw and a trialist showing great skill to release Mulhern on the hour. The ex-Stockport man’s shot took a heavy deflection to wrongfoot Dibble and go in.

Mullin’s dinked cross just could not pick out substitute Jordan Ponticelli on 68 minute, however, and – from Young’s corner – French and Jamie Reckord could not make clean contact.

Spennymoor levelled on 75 minutes, after a mistake by Christian Dibble. Taylor intercepted the goalkeeper’s poor pass and – when a trialist brough Ramshaw down in the box – it was the striker who converted the penalty.

Wrexham were nearly back in front in supreme style just two minutes later, when Young spotted goalkeeper Dale Eve off his line and tried his luck from 45 minutes, but the goalkeeper parried wide.

Dibble then made some amends for his earlier error by saving brilliantly from Taylor at close range on 81 minutes, after Jamie Curtis’ great header down.

A clever corner routine nearly came off for Wrexham on 85 minutes, but substitute Dan Jarvis volleyed over from fellow sub Jordan Davies’ drilled cross.

That was to be Wrexham’s last big chance, however, as the match ended in a draw – a result neither side could really complain about.


Wrexham: (3-4-1-2): Dibble, French, Brisley (Reckord 28), Trialist A, Hall-Johnson, Young (Jarvis 82), Trialist B, Green, McAlinden (Davies 77), Mullin (Angus 71), Hyde (Ponticelli 60)

Unused subs: Dan Davies, Dan Jones, Joe Fountain, Trialist C

Spennymoor Town: (4-3-3): Eve, Lufudu (McLean 60), Curtis, Tait, Magnay, Abbott (Hall 60), Moke, Trialist A (Chandler 60), Mulhern (Anderson 60), Ramshaw, Taylor

Unsused subs: Flatters, Kennedy, Thompson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account