Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Eastleigh 0-2 Wrexham

Jake Hyde’s double fires Red Dragons to first league win of season

28 August 2021

Match Reports

REPORT | Eastleigh 0-2 Wrexham

Jake Hyde’s double fires Red Dragons to first league win of season

28 August 2021

Jake Hyde scored his first two Wrexham goals as his first-half double earned Phil Parkinson his first league win in charge of the Red Dragons.

Hyde opened his Wrexham account with a cool low finish and doubled his tally with a glancing header as the visitors returned home from Hampshire with all three points.

And, though were a few nervy moments in the Wrexham area, realistically the win could have been even more convincing were it not for Eastleigh goalkeeper Joe McDonnell making a series of good saves.

Wrexham made four changes from the opening-day draw with Solihull, including debuts for new signings Ben Tozer and James Jones.

Fit-again Rob Lainton was also back in goal, and Harry Lennon started in a back three with Tozer and Aaron Hayden.

Tyler French was moved to wing-back following Reece Hall-Johnson’s injury, while David Jones dropped to the bench.

Wrexham rode their luck in the early stages, however, and were fortunate not to go behind on eight minutes after Lennon dived in on Cav Miley and was booked. From the resultant Tom Whelan free-kick, Eastleigh got behind the Wrexham line but nobody could find the vital touch.

Wrexham cleared their lines but were defending another free-kick moments later following Paul Mullin’s foul. This time, however, Whelan tried an ambitious long-range shot and dragged his effort wide.

Eastleigh paid for their early profligacy too, and Wrexham were in front on 12 minutes. Mullin found space in the Spitfires’ half and disguised a brilliant pass through the defence to feed Hyde, whose low finish sent McDonnell the wrong way one-on-one.

With confidence now high, Jordan Davies attempted an ambitious long-range free-kick just two minutes later but he skied his effort over the stand behind the goal.

Davies’ deep free-kick then dropped to Tozer round the back of the defence on 18 minutes, but he shot high and wide across goal from a tight angle.

Two minutes later, Eastleigh had another chance to put the ball into box from a free-kick of their own, but again they squandered a great chance when Josh Hare headed wide from close-range.

Wrexham worked the ball forward from the goal-kick and Hyde found space outside the area to run into, but McDonnell saved his low shot.

Eastleigh missed another great chance to level on 26 minutes, when Ben House – unmarked behind the defence – could not beat Lainton from close-range.

Hare then shot over with a lofted half-volley from the corner of the area on 30 minutes as the hosts continued to create chance from set pieces.

Only a brilliant McDonnell save stopped Hyde doubling his and Wrexham’s advantage on 37 minutes though. Davies crossed deep to French at the back post, who pulled back for the onrushing striker, but McDonnell tipped his shot over.

Hyde did get a second on 40 minutes though – rising highest at the near post to meet Davies’ right-wing corner and glance his header in across goal.

Mullin then nearly got in on the act on 43 minutes, cutting in from the left-hand side and unleashing a stinging, dipping shot which McDonnell spilled but then grabbed at the second attempt.

Reckord then went close on the stroke of half-time, after Hyde got in behind the defence to run onto a long ball and cross low, but his shot hit McDonnell at point-blank range at the near post.

The second-half was slow to get going, with Christian Maghoma suffering a head injury in an aerial challenge with Jake Hyde just moments after the restart – leading to a long delay.

On 54 minutes, Wrexham fans got a first glimpse of Ben Tozer’s famous long throw-ins and, while Hayden and French were beaten in the air, Jordan Davies fired over the rebound.

Davies was then called into defensive duty two minutes, blocking well on the edge of the box before Ryan Hill shot over from the rebound from 20 yards.

McDonnell then made another great save on 59 minutes, this time denying Tozer with his legs after Hayden pulled Young’s cross back into the danger area.

Another Tozer throw-in was only half-cleared by the Eastleigh defence again on 67 minutes and, after Jones’ cross, Davies again fired just wide with a powerful left-footed drive.

Parkinson introduced Dior Angus on 79 minutes, and his pace against a tired Eastleigh defence immediately caused problems.

Jordan Davies turned onto Harry Lennon’s low pass on 80 minutes, and his left-footed effort bounced awkwardly, but McDonnell parried clear.

A minute later, Young pounced on a poor clearance and Hyde and Davies combined to feed Angus, who cut inside but shot just wide across goal from inside the area.

Angus was in again on 84 minutes, and went down in the area as he was about to shoot, but the referee pointed for a corner.

From the corner, Wrexham won another throw-in, and Tozer’s delivery again caused problems, but Jones eventually sliced well over on the volley.

Deep into six minutes of stoppage time, Angus then unselfishly squared for Davies on the edge of the box, but the midfielder curled his effort over.

Wrexham were not to rue the missed chances, however, as they celebrated following last weekend’s draw at Solihull with a deserved away win.

Eastleigh: (5-3-2): McDonnell, Hare, Low, Boyce, Maghoma (Whitehall 50), Kelly, Miley, Whelan, Hesketh (Pritchard 76), House, Barnett (Hill 30).

Unused subs: Hollands, Smart

Wrexham: (3-5-2): Lainton, Hayden, Tozer, Lennon, French, J.Jones, Young, Davies, Reckord, Hyde, Mullin (Angus 79)

Unused subs: Dibble, Green, Cleworth, D.Jones

Referee: Robert Whitton

Attendance: 2,572 (Away: 711)


Wrexham: Harry Lennon (10, foul), Luke Young (71, foul), Davies (88, UGC)

Eastleigh: None

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account