Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Marine 0-9 Wrexham AFC Youth

Young Reds continue fine form as unbeaten run goes on

23 September 2021

Wrexham AFC Youth's blistering start to the 2021/22 National League Alliance campaign continued on Wednesday with a dominant display at Marine.

Forward Dan Jones hit a first-half hattrick whilst goals from Kai Evans, Joe Fountain, Owen Cushion, Jake Towse (brace) and Caleb Hughes swept Marine aside to make it three wins from three to begin the league campaign.

Manager Dan Nolan made two changes to the side that put six goals past Bradford Park Avenue a week previous as goalkeeper Adrian Krol came in for Louis Parr, Reece Oliver replaced Ollie Hitchcox - who 24 hours previous played 90 minutes for a select Wrexham XI. There was also a place on the bench for Harry Bell.

Before kick-off, the players and staff paused to remember the 266 who perished in the Gresford Colliery Disaster whilst captain Tom Jenkins wore a commemorative armband. 

The game began at an electric pace with Jones giving Wrexham the lead after just seven minutes, before adding a second on the turn just minutes later. 

Almost directly from the re-start, Evans made it three with a tremendous shot from distance. The barnstorming first 15 minutes was complete as Joe Fountain popped up at the back post to slide the ball home.

With Wrexham leading 4-0 with just 15 minutes gone, they could have been forgiven for taking their foot on the gas, however, Marine settled down well whilst goalkeeper Jake Barrow made a string of fine saves from efforts by Jones and Evans.

On 35 minutes though, Wrexham added their fifth. Midfielder Cushion was having a tremendous game both on and off the ball and opened up key opportunities for Wrexham as they transitioned from defence to attack, and his work was rewarded as he finished calmly from close range in a man of the match performance. 

Three minutes later Jones had his third goal, after a cross from the left by Dan Davies was directed home from the predatory forward.

Half-Time: Marine 0-6 Wrexham

Wrexham applied pressure once more in the second period but failed to find an early breakthrough, whilst manager Dan Nolan made changes bringing on Bell and Towse for Jenkins and Jones - Will Mountfield took the captaincy. 

Towse made an immediate impression scoring within minutes of entering the field of play with a smart finish from close range.

On 70 minutes Hughes replaced Evans as the game began to die down, but with 79 gone Towse added his second and Wrexham's eighth with a shot from 30-yards out.

With eight minutes left to play, Hughes bagged his first goal of the campaign with a superb ball from the right tucked home from a few yards out.

Wrexham sit top of the National League Youth Alliance (Group H) with three wins on the spin and an eye-watering 35 goals scored in their last four competitive matches. 

Jones and Evans meanwhile are in an early battle for the golden boot, sitting as joint-top scorers of the division with six each from the opening three.

Wrexham AFC Youth are next in action in the FA Youth Cup against AFC Blackpool on Thursday*.

Wrexham Line-Up: Krol, Fountain, Oliver, R.Davies, James, D.Davies, Mountfield, Jenkins, Evans, Cushion, Jones

Wrexham Subs: Parr, Hitchcox, Hughes, Bell, Towse.

Marine Line-Up: Barrow, Crawley, Williams, Rawsthorne, Gillespie, Moore, Toft, Cox, Rowlands, Yool, Paton.

Marine Subs: Donnalley, Geelher, Powell, Abrams.

Referee: Anthony Cavalan.

Attendance: 40 (Approx)

Man of the Match: Owen Cushion

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account