Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Weymouth 1-6 Wrexham AFC

Red Dragons score six second-half goals in comeback win

26 April 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Weymouth 1-6 Wrexham AFC

Red Dragons score six second-half goals in comeback win

26 April 2022

Wrexham scored six second-half goals to come from behind and beat Weymouth as the Red Dragons bounced back to winning ways in style.

Trailing at the break to Tom Bearwish’s goal, Jordan Davies’ thunderous strike brought Wrexham level just moments after the restart.

Paul Mullin headed in to give the Red Dragons the lead, before James Jones made it 3-1. A further goal apiece from Davies and Mullin added to the scoreline before Ollie Palmer wrapped up a dominant away win.

After defeat at Woking on Saturday ended Wrexham’s umbeaten run, Phil Parkinson made two changes to the starting XI – after eight games with an unchanged line-up.

Liam McAlinden replaced injured Callum McFadzean and Reece Hall-Johnson dropped to the bench as Tyler French started.

Just two minutes in Palmer could not get the ball out of his feet as Wrexham made an encouraging start, while Christian Dibble made a brilliant reaction save at the other end.

Weymouth caught Wrexham cold on 20 minutes, however, when Tom Blair strode through the midfield and slotted the ball through for Bearwish to slide it home.

The visitors remained patient, however, and Davies headed onto the roof of the net from Ben Tozer’s long throw on 29 minutes.

McAlinden’s thunderous volley was just wide on 33 minutes, while Davies had an effort saved six minutes later, and Mullin headed over the bar in the 40th minute.

Wrexham could not find a breakthrough before half-time, but Davies served up the moment of magic needed just two minutes after the restart.

Luke Young’s quickly taken free-kick found Davies, who opened up his body and unleashed a screaming left-footed shot into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Just two minutes later, the Red Dragons led – McAlinden crossing for Mullin to head Wrexham into a 2-1 advantage.

With their tails up, Mullin’s shot was blocked after Jones pounced on a loose pass on 53 minutes and two minutes later Jones turned and shot at the near post to fire Wrexham further ahead.

Davies’ second goal, on 66 minutes, was another excellent one – plucking a ball out of the sky, bringing it down and turning his man in one move and stabbing the ball into the bottom corner with the next.

With Wrexham in control, Parkinson was able to introduce fit-again Tom O’Connor from the bench in place of Davies.

The visitors continued to press, however, and Mullin tapped in from McAlinden’s cross to cap a fine team move on 82 minutes.

Ollie Palmer then wrapped up the excellent win moments later, as Jones slipped the ball through and the striker finished low and hard into the corner.

The result means Wrexham trail Stockport by four points, and also sit four points clear of Halifax.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account