Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 2-0 Stockport County

Paul Mullin's stoppage-time double sends Wrexham to Wembley

2 April 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 2-0 Stockport County

Paul Mullin's stoppage-time double sends Wrexham to Wembley

2 April 2022

Paul Mullin's stoppage-time double sent Wrexham to Wembley Stadium, as the Red Dragons beat Stockport County in the Buildbase FA Trophy semi-final at the Racecourse Ground.

Both of Mullin’s goals came inside added time, twice lobbing County keeper Ben Hinchliffe to spark huge celebrations from the Wrexham contingent in the 8,703 crowd.

Earlier, in a cagey game in North Wales - which was watched from the Aviation American Gin Suite by co-chairman Ryan Reynolds - both sides had missed gilt-edged chances, and both Hinchliffe and Wrexham's Christian Dibble had been in inspired form in goal.

Phil Parkinson named an unchanged eleven once again as he looked to extend his side’s ten-game unbeaten run.

Stockport had the first opportunity of the game, with former Wrexham striker Scott Quigley heading narrowly wide from an excellent cross from Liam Hogan.

County threatened the Red Dragons defence just after the twenty-minute mark, as Dibble made a good save from a Sarcevic, header.

Quigley managed to capitalise on a loose Wrexham pass, but he shanked his effort wide of Dibble’s goal.

Wrexham’s first clear-cut opportunity fell to Paul Mullin, whose driven effort forced Hinchcliffe into palming it around the post.

On the stroke of halftime County should have been ahead, Quigley’s effort bounced off Dibble, and Sarcevic blazed his shot over the bar.

Quigley had yet another chance to break the deadlock, but his shot was turned around the post superbly by Dibble.

Parkinson’s men started the second half brightly and a mazy run from Palmer saw him break into the penalty area only to be blocked by Ash Palmer.

Mullin again led a probing counterattack, twisted past Palmer and his strike was well saved by Hinchcliffe.

Mullin had a golden opportunity to put Wrexham ahead, Johnson miscued his back pass to allow Mullin a clear run-on goal but dragged his shot wide of the post.

Dibble was called into action once again making yet another tremendous save with his feet to deny Sarcevic from close range.

The battle between the two keepers continued, as Hinchcliffe made a strong save from Davies’ half volley onto the post late into the second half.

Mullin managed to make the breakthrough in the 91st minute, as he unleashed an excellent strike as he lobbed Hinchcliffe from 30 yards out.

The second was a well-worked counterattack that caught County out as they chased the leveler, and Mullin chipped it over Hinchcliffe and tapped It into an empty.

Wrexham: Dibble (GK), Hall-Johnson, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean (McAlinden 73'), Jones (Jarvis 73’), Young ©, Davies, Mullin, Palmer

Subs not used: Camp, Brisley, French, Ponticelli, Angus

Stockport County: Hinchcliffe (GK), Kitching, Hogan, Palmer, Johnson (Duffus 92'), Crankshaw, Cannon (Crossdale 64’), Collar, Sarcevic, Madden, Quigley (Jennings 64’)

Subs not used: Ashby-Hammond, Minihan, Keane, Hippolyte

Bookings: Cleworth (59’)

Bookings: Johnson (70’), Hogan (71’)

Attendance: 8703 (1,211 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account