Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Chesterfield 2-0 Wrexham AFC

Defeat in dreary Derbyshire ends unbeaten start

16 August 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Chesterfield 2-0 Wrexham AFC

Defeat in dreary Derbyshire ends unbeaten start

16 August 2022

Wrexham suffered their first defeat of the season as Jeff King and Ollie Banks scored first-half goals to hand Chesterfield victory.

In the first Tuesday night fixture of the season, both teams went into the game with four points from the opening two matches.

But after a frenetic opening, in a match played at a furious early pace, King cut inside to give the Spireites the lead.

Banks then doubled the advantage after Mark Howard was caught in possession, and from that moment on Chesterfield exterted good control over the game to see out a 2-0 win.

Phil Parkinson made four changes from Wrexham's draw at Yeovil in the scorching heat on Saturday, as Callum McFadzean, Bryce Hosannah, James Jones and fit-again Tom O'Connor all came into the starting line-up.

There was a stark contrast in the weather as a thunderstorm hit Chesterfield, but the playing surface held up well as both teams made a relentless start in an end-to-end opening.

Wrexham looked to exploit Jeff King's high wing-back play as both Paul Mullin and Ollie Palmer made in-to-out runs into the left channel looking for opportunities.

They found Tyrone Williams in imperious defensive form, however - the centre-back snuffing out a couple of early opportunities which set the tone for the match.

At the other end, King squandered an early free-kick by blazing over the bar from distance but soon made amends by breaking the deadlock in the tenth minute.

He got free on the right-hand side and cut inside two defenders before firing low across goal on his left foot and into the bottom corner.

Just moments later, Akwasi Asante cut inside from the other flank but his low, right-footed shot rebounded off the post and stayed out.

Wrexham absorbed the pressure that followed the goal, however, and the high tempo had been restored before Chesterfield struck what would prove the decisive blow.

After being put under pressure by a short backpass, Howard opted to take a touch and was caught in possession by Armando Dobra. He picked out team-mate Banks, who swept he ball in from the edge of the box.

At that point it looked as though there would be more goals in the game, and both penalty areas saw plenty of action - Williams leading Chesterfield's defensive efforts as Callum McFadzean, Paul Mullin and Tom O'Connor had shots blocked in quick succession.

After the break, the Red Dragons started the half on top, but a penalty shout by Ollie Palmer, when the striker got between the lines and ran in on goal, was the most notable action in the Spireites' area.

At the other end, Howard was forced into some smart saves, parrying the ball clear to deny Joe Quigley and Grimes.

No longer needing to force the tempo, however, Chesterfield managed the game well and the introduction of Jordan Davies, Jacob Mendy and debutant Sam Dalby from the bench could not make a difference.

With the play becoming increasingly forced, Chesterfield resisted Wrexham's efforts to ensure it is they who move level at the top with Barnet after three matches.


Chesterfield: Fitzsimons, King, Williams, Grimes, Horton, Banks, Oldaker, Dobra (Cooper 84), Mandeville, Asanta (Jones 84), Quigley.

Subs not used: Maguire, Tshimanga, Clarke

Wrexham: Howard, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, Hosannah (Dalby 76), Jones, O'Connor, McFadzean (Mendy 58), Lee (Davies 58), Mullin, Palmer

Subs not used: Watson, Tunnicliffe

Referee: Steven Copeland


Wrexham - McFadzean (foul), O'Connor (foul), Palmer (dissent)

Chesterfield - K


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account