Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 3-1 Gateshead

Three more goals and three more points, as Wrexham go second!

30 August 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 3-1 Gateshead

Three more goals and three more points, as Wrexham go second!

30 August 2022

Wrexham AFC made it three consecutive league wins on Tuesday evening, beating 10-man Gateshead 3-1 at the Racecourse Ground.

It couldn’t have been a better start for the hosts, as Ben Tozer’s deflected strike inside the first 90 seconds put Wrexham ahead.

Ollie Palmer soon made it two goals in his last two games, as some clever play saw him break into the area, before firing past Langley.

Gateshead grew into the game and pulled a goal back, as Owen Bailey headed past Howard to put them back in the game.

Minutes later they were pegged back as Louis Storey was dismissed after a late challenge on Forde saw him dismissed.

Paul Mullin's late strike in the second half helped sure up the three points to put the Red Dragons into second place in the National League.

Phil Parkinson named just one change to the starting line-up from the team that won at Woking, with Jacob Mendy being replaced by Callum McFadzean.

The victory at the Laithwaite Community Stadium was the first on the road of the campaign, with Parkinson’s men aiming to make it three wins from three.

The game got off to a flyer, as it took Wrexham just 90 seconds to open the scoring, as Luke Young’s corner wasn’t dealt with, and Tozer’s shot was deflected past Langley.

Moments later and it was two, Ollie Palmer found himself in acres of space as he drove at the Gateshead defence, before putting the ball into the bottom corner.

The Heed struggled to get themselves into the game, but they earned themselves two golden opportunities, as Tom Allan forced Mark Howard into putting his strike around the post.

However, the Red Dragons didn’t deal with the resulting corner, and Gateshead pulled a goal back, as Owen Bailey headed past Howard.

The visitors' progress was immediately halted as Storey was dismissed for a second bookable offence after a late challenge on Anthony Forde.

Mullin had a half chance to restore the two-goal advantage before the break, but his effort went wide of the post.

Wrexham started the second half livelier than they ended the first and began to create opportunities, but Cleworth’s header was saved well by Langley.

Despite going down to 10 men, the Heed continued to probe and forced Mark Howard into a great save, as Will Harris’ effort was palmed away.

Both sides continued to play an expansive game, with Lee and Mendy being introduced for the Red Dragons as they searched for a third.

Mullin looked as though he’d got his fifth of the season, as he latched onto a rebound from a Forde header, which he poked over the line, but was ruled out for offside. 

It wasn’t long after he got his goal, as Mullin pounced on a tame header back to Langley before coolly slotting home.

Forde came close to making it four 10 minutes before full-time, as he took on his man, but Langley well saved his strike at the near post.

Wrexham return to action on Saturday away from home against newly-promoted Dorking Wanderers, who lie 16th in the National League.

Wrexham: Howard (GK), Forde, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean (Mendy 68’) , Young ©, Davies, Jones (Lee 63’), Mullin, Palmer (Dalby 80’)

Subs not used: Watson and O’Connor.

Gateshead: Langley (GK), Tinkler, Magnay, Storey, Richardson, Bailey, Ward, Olley, Allan (Gallacher 35’), Harris (Blackett 68’), Campbell

Subs not used: Montgomery, Williamson, Fordes.

Red Card: Louis Storey (29’)

Bookings: Greg Olley (53’)

Attendance: 9,805 (with 56 travelling from Gateshead)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account