Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 3-1 Scunthorpe United

Red Dragons set up Altrincham clash with comeback win

21 December 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham AFC 3-1 Scunthorpe United

Red Dragons set up Altrincham clash with comeback win

21 December 2022

Jake Bickerstaff’s first Wrexham goal since 2019 started the comeback, as Wrexham came from behind to beat Scunthorpe United in the Isuzu FA Trophy Third Round.

Despite kick-off being delayed due to Scunthorpe getting stuck in traffic on their way to North Wales, it was the visitors who started brightest and Caolan Lavery put them in front.

But Bickerstaff ensured the two teams went in level at the break, scoring his first senior competitive goal since netting on his debut against Ayr United in 2019.

Reece Hall-Johnson tapped in after the break to give Wrexham the lead, before Elliot Lee sealed victory in stoppage time to ensure last year’s runners-up booked a fourth-round tie with Altrincham in the New Year.

Bickerstaff and Hall-Johnson were two of nine players to come into the team, with Rob Lainton and Harry Lennon returning from injury for their first appearances of the season too.

Andy Cannon made his Wrexham debut, while Jacob Mendy, Sam Dalby, Max Cleworth and James Jones also returned to the starting line-up.

Despite the visitors’ travel troubles, however, it was The Iron who started best and Lavery capitalised on Harry Lennon being caught in possession to open the scoring on eight minutes.

Wrexham grew into the game, however, and Bickerstaff received the ball from Jacob Mendy on 15 minutes, opened his feet up and dragged a left-footed shot wide.

Two minutes later, Hall-Johnson fizzed a cross over from the right, but Sam Dalby couldn't adjust his body to head over.

Bickerstaff then fed the ball to Dalby, who shot from just inside the area, but the shot was comfortably saved by Owen Foster.

Wrexham were level on 33 minutes though - Bickerstaff cutting inside and curling the ball into the far corner.

He turned provider three minutes later, slipping the ball through to Dalby, but Foster was out quickly to save.

After the break, Wrexham looked the more likely to win the game and Hall-Johnson tapped in after a goalkeeping fumble on 70 minutes to put the hosts in front.

And substitute Lee’s low finish, which went straight through the Scunthorpe goalkeeper, sealed victory in stoppage time.


Wrexham: Lainton, Cleworth, Tunnicliffe, Lennon, Hall-Johnson (Forde 86), J.Jones, O'Connor, Cannon (Lee 64), Mendy (McAlinden 72), Dalby, Bickerstaff

Subs: Watson, Butler, Young, Palmer

Scunthorpe: Foster, Beestin, Rowe, Lavery, Taft, Butterfield (Wilson 82), Shrimpton, Daniel, Apter, Gallimore, Pugh

Subs: Dewhurst, O'Malley, Hallam, Carver, Poulter


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account