Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wealdstone 1-2 Wrexham

Hall-Johnson scores dramatic winner as Wrexham come from behind at Grosvenor Vale

19 February 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Wealdstone 1-2 Wrexham

Hall-Johnson scores dramatic winner as Wrexham come from behind at Grosvenor Vale

19 February 2022

Reece Hall-Johnson scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner as Wrexham came from behind to beat ten-man Wealdstone at Grosvenor Vale.

Substitute Rhys Browne converted a penalty he won himself to put Wealdstone in front but, after Jack Cook’s second yellow card for handball, Davies curled in a brilliant equaliser.

More was to follow too as, in the final minute of stoppage time, Hall-Johnson squeezed a shot through a crowd to snatch all three points.

Phil Parkinson made one change from last weekend’s 3-0 Buildbase FA Trophy win against Wealdstone as Hall-Johnson replaced Bryce Hosannah at right wing-back.

Wrexham started on top too, without really testing George Wickens in the Wealdstone goal.

Tom O’Connor’s low shot was just wide on two minutes, and Davies’ more acrobatic effort also dropped wide in the sixth minute.

Ollie Palmer’s high pressing then earned a free-kick in the eighth minute but, though Davies’ effort beat the wall, again it missed the target.

Wealdstone took some time to find their footing in the game, but they were able to put a couple of set pieces into the area as the clock approached 20 minutes – Wrexham clearing their lines.

Tensions ramped up on 25 minutes, when Jordan Davies was fouled and clashed with Connor McAvoy. Both players were yellow-carded but no further action was taken.

Young was next to try his luck for Wrexham from distance, after Callum McFadzean kept the ball alive with a good tackle, but the shot was just wide across goal.

Wrexham then finished the half well, but again could not text the Wealdstone goalkeeper. Hall-Johnson hit the post from a tight angle on 45 minutes, and Young then fired wide a minute later.

Neither side could break the deadlock, however, as – just like the match at the Racecourse Ground – it was all-square at half-time.

Wealdstone were straight of the blocks after the restart, and Rob Lainton parried Josh Umerah’s effort wide just seconds into the second-half.

Wrexham responded well though, and Young had a great chance to break the deadlock on 49 minutes when he found space in the area but Wickens got a hand to his low shot and it looped over.

The resultant corner was cleared, but Aaron Hayden then headed wide across goal when the ball was worked back into the area.

Callum McFadzean could only slide the ball into the side-netting on 58 minutes, from Dan Jarvis’ cross, and still Wrexham could not break through on the hour when a corner led to pinball in the area on the hour – the ball somehow staying out at the back post.

Disaster struck on 70 minutes, however, when Browne beat Lainton to a brilliant through ball, and the Wrexham goalkeeper brought him down in the area.

Browne picked himself up and slotted the penalty into the corner, despite Lainton guessing correctly to dive to his left.

Wrexham were nearly level immediately, when Jarvis chipped a cross over Wickens, but McAvoy headed clear.

Davies then volleyed goalwards  from Young’s deep cross on 81 minutes, but Wickens saved brilliantly.

Wealdstone were reduced to ten men on 86 minutes, however, when Cook handballed as Ponticelli looked to break and picked up his second yellow card.

From the resultant free-kick, Jordan Davies clattered the crossbar but the rebound came straight back to him and curled brilliantly into the top corner to level.

Six minutes were added on, and in the last of them Liam McAlinden kept the ball alive at the back post, pulled back for Hall-Johnson and the wing-back won the game for Wrexham with a shot through the crowd.


Wrexham: (5-3-2): Lainton, Hall-Johnson, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth (McAlinden 75), McFadzean (Hosannah 81), O'Connor (Ponticelli 75), Young, Davies, Jarvis, Palmer.

Subs not used: Dibble, French

Wealdstone: (5-3-2): Wickens, McAvoy, Cook, Okimo (c), Sesay (Clayden 62), Henry, Ferguson, Cooper, Mundle-Smith, Elito (Browne 62 (Mascoll 87)), Umerah.

Subs not used: Charles, Dyer.

Attendance: 1,901

Referee: Tom Bishop


Wrexham: Davies (25, ungentlemanly conduct), Tozer (45+2, foul), Hall-Johnson (90+6, ungentlemanly conduct)

Wealdstone: Cook (5, foul), McAvoy (25, ungentlemanly conduct)

Sent Off

Wealdstone: Cook (86, second bookable offence)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account