Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Notts County 1-2 Wrexham AFC

James Jones’ late winner earns dramatic comeback win

11 March 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Notts County 1-2 Wrexham AFC

James Jones’ late winner earns dramatic comeback win

11 March 2022

James Jones’ late winner fired Wrexham into the Buildbase FA Trophy semi-finals, as the Red Dragons came from behind to win at Notts County.

Connell Rawlinson headed the hosts in front at Meadow Lane, but Dan Jarvis equalised just before half-time, before Jones’ 89th-minute winner.

It means seven games unbeaten for Wrexham and a place in the last four for the third time in 14 years in the competition.

After the high-octane 4-2 league win at home to Boreham Wood on Tuesday night, Phil Parkinson rotated his options for the quarter-final at Meadow Lane.

Jarvis, Jordan Ponticelli, Bryce Hosannah and Christian Dibble all came into the team, with Paul Mullin, Ollie Palmer, Reece Hall-Johnson and Rob Lainton all dropping to the seven-man bench.

The first half took some time to ignite, though Callum McFadzean denied Dion Kelly-Evans with an inch-perfect tackle in the ninth minute after a great through ball.

Dibble saved Kai Mitchell’s fierce strike on 13 minutes, diving well to his left, and Bryce Hosannah tackled Matt Palmer in the area in the 17th minute – referee Samuel Barrott judging it to be perfectly timed.

Notts County broke the deadlock on 30 minutes, however, when Rawlinson drove forward with the ball and stayed in the attack. The defender ghosted between the lines to head in Alex Chicksen’s cross and break the deadlock.

Hosannah was replaced by Hall-Johnson in the 35th minute, after picking up an injury, and Ben Tozer had two shots blocked by Joel Taylor’s after Luke Young’s corner moments later.

It was Jarvis who levelled, however – smashing in a half-volley after James Jones’ right-wing cross deflected into his path on 43 minutes.

Level at the break, Wrexham started the second half better and Hall-Johnson was well blocked on 51 minutes before Jones fired over from the rebound.

McAlinden then shot wide from left of the area in the 56th minute, before Chicksen drove forward five minutes later and found Frank Vincent, who curled wide for County.

Parkinson introduced Mullin and Palmer in the 66th minute, and Hall-Johnson’s right-wing cross was deflected behind on 70 minutes with Wrexham’s top scorer waiting to pounce.

It was Notts who grew into the game, however, and Matt Palmer had a string of corners around the 80th minute which the hosts could not turn into goals.

The hosts thought they had won it in the 87th minute, when Ed Francis unleashed a ripper of a left-footed shot from distance, only for it to clatter the bar and bounce clear.

And Jones ensured Wrexham took full advantage of the reprieve in the 89th minute – winning the ball high up the pitch, playing a one-two with Hall-Johnson and burying his low finish.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account