Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham 4-2 Boreham Wood

Lightning strikes four times, as a thunderous Wrexham slam four past promotion chasing Boreham Wood in a flashy win!

8 March 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Wrexham 4-2 Boreham Wood

Lightning strikes four times, as a thunderous Wrexham slam four past promotion chasing Boreham Wood in a flashy win!

8 March 2022

Wrexham made it six wins in a row in all competitions with an impressive 4-2 victory over Boreham Wood on Tuesday, with four different players finding the net for the Red Dragons.

The ‘friendly giant’ Ollie Palmer guided Wrexham into the lead, as he headed home 15 minutes in, before former Red, Scott Boden, equalled the tie before half-time, as his deflected effort bobbled into the goal past a scrambling Rob Lainton. 

A theatre worthy ten minutes from the 60th minute saw Aaron Hayden and James Jones give Wrexham a 3-1 lead, before Josh Rees’ header restored hope for the visitors. 

Super Paul Mullin came to the rescue once more to slam a fourth past Taye Ashby-Hammond in-off the post with 70 minutes gone, sparking outright pandemonium in the stands. 

Phil Parkinson was forced into one change for the game’s 11, as the injured Jordan Davies would make way for the versatile Liam McAlinden. 

Club captain Ben Tozer made his 500th appearance of his career, as he sat in the middle of Max Cleworth and Aaron Hayden in a familiar back-three for the Reds. 

Prior to this game, Wrexham had won their last five games, scoring 13 goals in order to rise to third and the automatic play-off places in the national league.  

Jones was the first player on the pitch to have a shot at goal with 14 minutes on the clock, as he belted one on his left-foot from the right-wing for it to flash just wide of Ashby-Hammond's far-post. 

Successive corners allowed Luke Young to really find his mark and land a set-piece right onto the onrushing Palmer’s head, for the striker to head home into the keeper’s far corner 15 minutes in. 

Mullin caught Evans ball watching, as he made his run in-behind from a Young lobbed ball. However, the Wrexham striker could only muster up a tame, curled effort down the throat of Ashby-Hammond with 29 minutes gone. 

Boreham Wood captain David Stephens was booked 31 minutes in, as his flailing arm caught Mullin and put the striker down on the floor, to anguished shouts from the home crowd.  

The Wood’s first chance amounted to a goal 38 minutes in, as former Wrexham player, Scott Boden, was able to pick up the ball inside the box amidst a momentarily discombobulated back-line. He curled a seemingly deflected effort past a scampering Lainton to level the scores. 

Half-time was called by referee Lewis Smith and the Reds were left slightly bemused at not taking a deserved lead into the dressing rooms. 

The side from Hertfordshire started the second half as they did the first and number nine Boden was able to curl another effort at goal, but Lainton dived comfortably, catching the ball with three minutes gone in the half. 

Palmer’s tenacity and willingness to win the ball back fairly next to the Wood corner flag enabled him to pick up the ball 55 minutes in and subsequently drill a ball across the face of goal, but the ball evaded every player.  

Mullin matched Palmer’s tenacity and won the ball on the by-line to slam a shot from the angle at Ashby-Hammond to win a corner. 

The subsequent corner then found Mullin at the back-post with acres of space, but he could only pick out the side netting with 57 minutes gone. 

How many times have the Wrexham fans been treated to a Tozer long-throw, matched with an Aaron Hayden goal? Well, it’s one more today as Hayden buried his chance in the 61st minute to absolute pandemonium across the whole stadium. 

Jones was fancying the long-ranged strikes this game and this was true when the ball flew off his boot in the 65th minute, forcing Ashby-Hammond to glide across his net and push the ball out at full-stretch. 

Palmer then went charging through the centre and hit a ballooned shot at Ashby-Hammond, who pushed it out for Jones to karate kick the ball over a Boreham Wood head and into the goal, just five minutes after the third. 

Wrexham’s two goal lead was cancelled out quickly, after Tyrone Marsh flicked a Josh Rees corner into Lainton’s net with 68 minutes on the clock. 

Not to fear, Mullin is here. Similar to his goal against King’s Lynn, Mullin went charging through one minute later, to slap a bouncing ball against Ashby’s post and into the goal. It’s safe to say that the Racecourse ERUPTED. 

Wrexham claimed their first dangerous free-kick in the 79th minute. Usual kick-taker Davies wasn’t available, so up-stepped Mullin to curl an awkward, yet tame effort through the wall and into Ashby’s hands. 

Seven minutes of added time took an age to end, but when it did, scenes of jubilation engulfed the Racecourse, as the Reds surpassed promotion rivals Boreham Wood 4-2. 

Wrexham AFC: (5-3-2): Lainton (GK), Hall-Johnson, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean, Jones, McAlinden, Young (C), Mullin (Ponticelli 90+3'), Palmer 

Subs not used: Dibble (GK), Jarvis, French, Hosannah

Boreham Wood: (4-3-3): Ashby-Hammond (GK), Evans, Stephens (C), Rees, Boden (Clifton 81'), Marsh, Raymond, Lewis, Mendy, Smith (Orsi 72'), Stevens (Comley 58’) 

Subs not used: Ashmore, Ranger

Referee: Lewis Smith 

Attendance: 8,705 – 27 Boreham Wood 

Wrexham Bookings: None 

Boreham Wood Bookings: Stephens 32’ (foul), Boden 38’ (celebration), Smith 42’ (foul) 

Man of the Match: Ollie Palmer 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account