Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Boreham Wood 1-1 Wrexham AFC

2 May 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Boreham Wood 1-1 Wrexham AFC

2 May 2022

Paul Mullin’s excellent second-half strike was cancelled out by a late penalty from Tyrone Marsh as Wrexham were made to settle for a point against 10-man Boreham Wood.

Mullin opened the scoring 10 minutes after the restart, as he volleyed past Nathan Ashmore to become the league's top scorer.

However Boreham Wood got the equaliser after Tyler French’s mistimed tackle gifted a way back for the hosts, and Marsh scored from the spot.

It was a game that Wrexham largely dominated, but in the frantic final stages lost composure and the chance for three points on the day.

Phil Parkinson named two changes to the side that beat Southend on Saturday as he aimed to make it three wins in a row.

The hosts had two excellent opportunities to put themselves ahead, as Wil Evans jumped well and his header rattled the post, and then Dennon Lewis fired his volley against the woodwork. 

The Red Dragons' first opportunity fell to Jordan Davies, who struck his effort from 25 yards out well over the goal of Ashmore.

Davies had another excellent chance to put Wrexham ahead, but his shot was parried away well by the hosts' keeper.

Boreham Wood were reduced to 10 men late into the first half, as former Wrexham man Jamal Fyfield lunged in with a reckless tackle on Davies.

Mullin should have put Parkinson’s side ahead before the break after a great cross by the returning Bryce Hosannah was swung into the area but the striker got his execution wrong.

Despite going down to 10, the Wood still created chances and could have gone ahead as Marsh broke into space and his shot was cleared off the line by Ben Tozer.

In the last action of the half, Callum McFadzean found himself in a shooting position but he fired high and wide past Ashmore.

Wrexham started the second half lively and Luke Young came close to getting his first of the season as his curled effort went through a sea of bodies and he managed to hold onto it.

Ashmore again remained the difference between the two sides, as McFadzean played a well-timed cross into Mullin who got his shot away inside the six-yard box and he saved well.

It took 10 minutes into the half for Wrexham to make the breakthrough as Mullin scored a sublime goal, teeing himself up before volleying past Ashmore.

Ashmore again pulled off an excellent save, as Palmer’s effort tight on the touchline in front of the Wrexham fans was turned wide of the post.

Davies nearly doubled the lead on the hour mark as his shot from outside the area provided more heroics from Ashmore as he somehow tipped it around the post.

The Vanarama National League’s top scorer nearly doubled his tally, as Jones’ through ball was fired into the feet of Mullin and his improvised flick went narrowly wide of the post.

Scott Boden should have equalised against his former Club, as his tame header was straight at Christian Dibble.

The Boreham Wood stopper made another incredible save, as Young’s shot was deflected by Raymond and Ashmore somehow tipped it over the bar.

Boreham Wood had a gift of an opportunity to draw level, as French gave away a penalty from a rash challenge in the box, and Marsh tucked it away from the resulting penalty.

Wrexham are back in action on Sunday against Stockport County, live on BT Sport.

Wrexham: Dibble (GK), Hosannah (Hall-Johnson 74’), French (Hyde 92’), Tozer, Cleworth, McFadzean, Young ©, Jones, Davies, Mullin (Jarvis 88’), Palmer

Subs not used: Camp and O’Connor 

Boreham Wood: Ashmore (GK), Evans, Stephens, Fyfield, Mendy Mendy, Smith, Raymond, Colmley (Smith 74’), Boden ( Clifton 74’), Marsh, Lewis (Orsi 85’)

Subs not used: Ashby-Hammond and Joyce

Bookings: Wil Evans (40)

Red Card: Jamal Fyfield (37)

Attendance: 2053 (1,038 Wrexham)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account