Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Wrexham 0-1 Bromley

22 May 2022

Michael Cheek’s second-half strike was enough to seal the FA Trophy for Bromley, as Wrexham fell short on the day at Wembley.

It was a difficult afternoon for the Red Dragons, as it proved difficult to create many clear-cut opportunities to threaten Balcombe.

The deciding moment came in the 64th minute, as Whitely split the Wrexham defence, and Cheek slotted home into the empty net.

Phil Parkinson named two changes to the side that ended the league campaign with a 3-0 defeat to Dagenham and Redbridge.

Liam McAlinden came in for Reece Hall-Johnson, and Tom O’Connor started at centre-back in replace of Tyler French.

Bromley came close in the opening stages, as a floated ball from the left-hand side found Cheek in the box, but his cushioned header was held by Dibble.

The Ravens had another chance to take the lead, as Whitely took advantage of the bouncing ball as he spun Luke Young, but he fired well over Dibble’s net.

Parkinson’s side immediately countered and had a good chance to break the deadlock, as Mullin’s cross was met by Jordan Davies, who drilled his shot at Balcombe.

The Red Dragons had another opportunity, as O’Connor’s cross was headed goalbound by McFadzean, but it went well wide in the end.

The game faced a lengthy break at the end of the first half as Omar Sowunmi suffered an unfortunate injury which saw him stretchered off in added time.

Wrexham started the second half the brighter of the two and the first chance came from a Tozer throw, which Davies turned wide of the post.

Andy Woodman’s men created the most clear-cut chance of the tie 10 minutes into the half as Al Hamadi broke into the area and fired his shot at Dibble.

Dibble came to the rescue yet again as he somehow managed to tip Cheek’s strike wide of the post.

The Reds managed to fire back at the Ravens as a better spell of possession found Mullin in space inside the penalty area, but his shot only found the side netting.

Cheek broke the deadlock just after the hour mark, as Whitely played an easy square ball to the striker, who put the ball into the empty net.

Cheek had a chance to get his second and double Bromley’s lead, as he rose well, but his header made a routine save for Dibble.

Whitely caused even more problems for the Wrexham defence, as his whipped cross was destined for Cheek, but Cleworth stepped in for a vital block.

Wrexham struggled to create chances after Bromley scored, and the closest they came was through an effort from Dan Jarvis, which sailed over the bar.

Balcombe was finally tested and forced into an unreal save, as Hyde’s header from point-blank range was somehow tipped over the crossbar.

Hyde had another opportunity as Davies’ fizzed cross landed in his path, but the ball bounced awkwardly as it went wide.

He finally put the ball in the net deep into added time, but the linesman ruled it out for offside.

The Red Dragons return to action next weekend in our Play-Off Semi-Final against Notts County or Grimsby.

Wrexham: Dibble, McAlinden (Hall-Johnson 74’), Cleworth, Tozer, O’Connor (Jarvis 74’), McFadzean, Young © (Hyde 86’), Davies, J.Jones, Mullin, Palmer

Subs not used: Camp, French, D.Jones, Ponticelli

Bromley: Balcombe, Bingham (Trotter 78’), Bush, Sowunmi (Partington 45’), Coulson, Cheek (Bloomfield 78’), Webster, Whitely, Forster, Vennings, Al-Hamadi

Subs not used: Cousins, Alabi, Dennis, Cawley

Booking: Vennings 

Attendance: 46,111

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account