Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Wealdstone 0-0 Wrexham

Red Dragons held at Grosvenor Vale

12 November 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Wealdstone 0-0 Wrexham

Red Dragons held at Grosvenor Vale

12 November 2022

Wrexham were frustrated at Grosvenor Vale, as the Red Dragons’ brief stint at the top of the table was ended by a goalless draw away to Wealdstone.

Ollie Palmer had a header saved in the first half, and Elliot Lee’s deflected strike was well turned wide after the break, but in a game of few chances the visitors could not find a way through a dogged Wealdstone defence.

Though the result extends Wrexham’s unbeaten run, the draw ends the recent winning streak and, combined with Notts County’s win at Eastleigh, sees the Red Dragons drop to second.

Phil Parkinson was forced into two changes from Wednesday’s 3-1 win away to Scunthorpe United, with both Aaron Hayden and Bryce Hosannah missing out.

Tom O’Connor returned on the left of the defence, while Liam McAlinden played at right wing-back after both impressed off the bench in that win.

Wrexham were unable to find the same early intensity this time, however, and it was Wealdstone who had the game’s first chance when Tarryn Allarakhia’s low pass flashed across goal.

Olufela Olomola’s powerful strike on ten minutes then hit Ben Tozer, and the same player shot well over from distance in the 16th minute.

Olomola was then played in down the left on 17 minutes, but his effort was deflected wide and Ollie Palmer got the corner clear.

Wealdstone had another succession of corners around the half-hour mark, but could not take advantage despite Wrexham’s frustration growing.

Wrexham’s best chance of the half came on 38 minutes, when Elliot Lee spun on the edge of the area and was tripped.

Lee took the free-kick himself, and hammered it into the wall, but James Jones then crossed for Palmer, whose header was brilliantly blocked at the back post by Sam Howes.

Shooting towards the packed-out away end in the second-half, Wrexham did start brighter but chances remained at a premium.

McAlinden twisted and turned on 62 minutes to get into the area from the right but his left-footed shot was tame and straight at Howes.

Palmer then cut in from the opposite side on 66 minutes and shot low on his right foot, but it was well blocked by a defender.

It was almost Palmer’s last action, as he was replaced by Sam Dalby in the 69th minute, while Jordan Davies replaced James Jones on 78 minutes.

It was Davies’ long ball that released Paul Mullin on 84 minutes, who in turn found McAlinden, who teed up Elliot Lee. Lee’s shot took a deflection, but Howes recovered well to turn it wide.

Two minutes later, Tom O’Connor’s lofted ball into the area beat everybody but Howes was alert to dive to his right and save.

Wrexham were the team on top as five minutes’ stoppage time was indicated but with Jack Cook heading away almost every ball into the area, they could not force a winner.

One final Ben Tozer throw-in was cleared away, and the referee’s whistle meant a point apiece – with Wrexham dropping points to the Stones for the third consecutive season.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account