Skip to main content Skip to site footer

THE REVIEW | Wrexham AFC 3-0 Oldham Athletic

Lift-off at the Racecourse as Wrexham AFC rocket into round two

7 November 2022

The Racecourse Ground lifted off, as Wrexham rocketed to the FA Cup Second Round by beating Oldham Athletic 3-0.

A Paul Mullin double followed Sam Dalby’s early tap-in, with Phil Parkinson’s men cruising past the Latics in the FA Cup First Round. 

Wrexham fans were in fine voice from the get-go, with more than nine thousand people engulfing the Racecourse Ground for the early kickoff. 

Elliot Lee embodied the manager’s style of play, constantly positioning himself on the corners of the Oldham box to pull the offensive strings. The play between himself, Callum McFadzean and Mullin reaped havoc onto the Latics’ defence, seeing their wing-back Jordan Clarke booked and hauled off at half-time. 

Having players in the box was never an issue for the Red Dragons, and Dalby’s goal was the epitome of this. He was in the right place at the right time, as Jayson Leutwiler tamely parried out a Luke Young long shot on a plate for the striker.  

A professional performance was formulating throughout the game and the manoeuvring of the ball with no desire to force opportunities was transparent. Lee’s trickery in and around the box enabled surrounding players to make fortuitous runs, with the number 38 dictating play. 

There aren’t many occasions where Mullin goes successive games without scoring and this affair was no different for the birthday boy. Following a lofted through ball by Dalby, Mullin cut inside and skipped past two Oldham defenders, before drilling the ball into the net with Leutwiler glaringly wrongfooted. 

Mullin would add his second just after the hour mark. Freakish reaction times would allow the number ten to flick his header home, after Ben Tozer’s long throw skidded off the head of Lois Maynard, a mere two yards in front of Mullin. 

It was an offensively sound game and the defence was just as good, as they kept their third clean sheet in a row. Despite having multiple corners, the Latics failed to threaten the Wrexham backline, with Mark Howard displaying a commanding performance in goal. 

There would be no villainous return for the likes of John Rooney, Ben Tollitt and Mike Fondop, as Wrexham’s hold on the ball was unwavering. 

Positives also transferred to the bench, as Rob Lainton returned to the matchday squad following a long-term injury and Kai Evans gathered more professional football under his belt, in a touching moment where he came on for Mullin to chants of 'He's One of Our Own' from the University End. 

The 3-0 victory marked an eleventh consecutive win at the Racecourse, as performances continually get better. 

The second round draw awaits Parkinson and his men tonight, which will take place at the Centenary Club at 7pm with Mickey Thomas and Jermaine Beckford drawing the balls. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account