Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Oldham Athletic 1-2 Wrexham AFC

Paul Mullin scores stoppage-time penalty as Red Dragons come from behind to go top of the league

1 October 2022

Paul Mullin converted a stoppage-time penalty as Wrexham came from behind to beat Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park and go top of the league.

Ben Tozer head earlier gone from villain to hero – being caught in possession to allow Mike Fondop to open the scoring in the first-half, before levelling late on with a cool low finish.

Luke Young was then caught by a high boot in the area and Mullin coolly scored from the spot to win the game in front of a huge travelling support.

Manager Phil Parkinson made one change from the team which started against Torquay a week earlier – Callum McFadzean replacing the injured Jacob Mendy.

There was little action of note in the first part of the first-half, however, until Oldham started to apply a spell of pressure and John Rooney curled wide on 23 minutes.

Three minutes later, Latics were in front – ex-Red Fondop catching Ben Tozer in possession and rifling a low finish beyond Mark Howard and into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

James Carragher and Paul Mullin clashed on 37 minutes, with the Wrexham man going to ground clutching his face, but referee Matthew Dicicco diffused the situation.

Half-time was welcome for Wrexham, and after the break the Red Dragons – shooting towards more than 2,500 visiting supporters – were much improved.

The introduction of Elliot Lee on 59 minutes made an impact and on 63 minutes, Aaron Hayden’s volley – from McFadzean’s cross – was blocked.

Three minutes later, Lee headed goalwards from Anthony Forde’s right-wing cross, but Magnus Norman saved to his left.

On 71 minutes, Mullin then brought a high ball down, turned and shot but his right-footed effort deflected just wide.

Luke Young shot from distance a minute later, but straight at Norman, and on 78 minutes, Davies dragged a low shot wide after pouncing on a loose ball.

Young’s low corner caused carnage in the 83rd minute, but Hayden and Davies could not steer the ball goalwards.

Just a minute later, however, Tozer levelled for the Red Dragons. Substitute Liam McAlinden crossed in, Elliot Lee calmly fed the ball to Tozer and the centre-back drove the ball across goal and into the bottom corner.

Highlights from today's game will be available to view on WrexhamPlayer at midnight.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account