Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Boreham Wood 1-1 Wrexham AFC

Aaron Hayden earns point after spirited second-half

22 October 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Boreham Wood 1-1 Wrexham AFC

Aaron Hayden earns point after spirited second-half

22 October 2022

Aaron Hayden’s sixth goal of the season ensured second-placed Wrexham earned a point away to third-placed Boreham Wood after a feisty encounter at Meadow Park.

Hayden tapped in from Paul Mullin’s low cross after the break, to cancel out Danny Newton’s opener, in a resurgent second-half from the visitors.

Both teams had chances to add to the score, particularly Wrexham after the break, but the draw ensures the Red Dragons remain four points clear of The Wood.

Phil Parkinson made three changes from the team which started in mid-week, with Aaron Hayden, Callum McFadzean and Elliot Lee all starting.

Jordan Tunnicliffe retained his place to make his first league start, while Jordan Davies and Liam McAlinden dropped to the bench.

After an even start, Lee had Wrexham’s first chance on 14 minutes after the referee played advantage when Ollie Palmer was fouled. Lee ran onto the loose ball and charged at the defence but got his low shot wrong and tamely hit it at Nathan Ashmore.

Mullin’s curling shot was then saved and held on 18 minutes, after more good attacking play by Wrexham.

At the other end, Tunnicliffe’s tackle and Hayden’s crucial block kept Wrexham level on 22 minutes.

In the 25th minute, Mullin ran onto a long ball and found Lee square, whose fierce shot looked to be blocked by a hand, but the referee was unmoved and Palmer headed the rebound wide.

Another crucial block, this time by Ben Tozer, kept scores even on 28 minutes, but The Wood broke the deadlock on the half-hour.

A ball down the left-hand side was pulled back for Newton, who gratefully fired the ball into the far corner.

The goal took the sting out of Wrexham, and they were nearly punished again when a well-worked free-kick caught them out and Femi Ilesanmi attacked, but his low shot just evaded Newton.

Wrexham thought they should have a free-kick in the 42nd minute, when Tunnicliffe was hauled to the ground as he burst through a tackle, but referee Adrian Quelch was again unmoved. He consequently left the pitch to a chorus of boos from the frustrated, 1,107-strong away support at half-time.

Those frustrations were quelled after the break, however, when Wrexham flew out of the blocks for the second-half.

Palmer fed Mullin on 51 minutes, but the striker was forced wide and his fired effort from a tight angle was deflected over.

Wrexham got their reward on 53 minutes, however, when Mullin went down the right-hand side and played a low cross for Hayden to tap in.

Lee’s shot was blocked on 57 minutes, and Palmer went to ground without reward from the referee as the rebound fell to him.

A minute later, Palmer and Mullin combined but Dale Stephens got back to tackle well.

Wrexham continued to look the more likely to go score another, and went close on 75 minutes when James Jones’ took down a lofted McFadzean pass and fired just over from distance.

At the other end, Broadbent curled a free-kick over on 77 minutes.

Palmer was next to go close for Wrexham, taking a touch on the edge of the box and curling goalwards after substitute McAlinden’s pass on 81 minutes, but it was just wide.

Three minutes later, Mark Howard’s long clearance found Paul Mullin out of nowhere, and the striker plucked the ball out of the sky but lacked power in his volley as he fell off balance.

There was to be no further scoring, however, with both teams having to accept a point. Wrexham will now look to get back to winning ways at the Racecourse Ground on Tuesday against FC Halifax Town.

Line-up: Howard, Hayden, Tozer, Tunnicliffe, Forde, Young, J.Jones, McFadzean (78), Lee (J.Davies 87), Palmer, Mullin

Subs not used: Watson, O’Connor, Dalby

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account