Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Wrexham AFC 6-0 Torquay United

Red Dragons run riot at the Racecourse

24 September 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT | Wrexham AFC 6-0 Torquay United

Red Dragons run riot at the Racecourse

24 September 2022

Jordan Davies’ first-half header kick-started what was a clinical performance as the Red Dragons ran riot in front of just under 10,000 supporters at the Racecourse

Three goals in each half helped secure an emphatic victory, with six different goal scorers showing the attacking talent the squad possesses.

Jordan Davies, Paul Mullin, Ollie Palmer, Aaron Hayden, Sam Dalby and Anthony Forde all found the back of the net.

The win keeps the Red Dragons in second place, with Chesterfield coming back to claim victory in the dying moments to maintain first place.

Phil Parkinson named an unchanged XI as his Wrexham side went in search of their seventh successive match unbeaten.

Ollie Palmer created the first real opportunity of the contest, as he got on the end of a Ben Tozer throw, which went wide of the post.

The visitors looked to play themselves into the game, but James Jones unleashed a ferocious strike that saw Mark Halstead make an excellent save.

However, it was from the resulting corner that saw Jordan Davies put Wrexham ahead, as he headed home from a Luke Young corner in the 11th minute.

Anthony Forde was inches away from making it two minutes later, with his curled effort crashing against the post and bouncing clear of Halstead’s goal.

Injury to Jacob Mendy dampened Wrexham's momentum a little during the first half, as he was replaced by Callum McFadzean after receiving a period of treatment.

Just before the half-hour mark, Paul Mullin doubled the Wrexham lead, as he poked the ball home from inside the penalty area.

The first opportunity for The Gulls to strike back fell to Aaron Jarvis, whose effort hit the underside of the bar, bounced onto the line and clear.

Minutes before the break Palmer made it three, as his well-executed finish was steered past Halstead giving the Red Dragons a healthy lead.

The second period started at a slower pace than the way the first ended, with the visitors trying to play themselves back into the game.

Despite controlling more of the ball and winning numerous corners, nothing stuck for The Gulls their only being opportunity a long-range effort from Hall which never troubled Howard.

Wrexham began to turn the screw and Aaron Hayden’s leaping header made it four, leaving Halstead rooted to the spot.

With ten minutes remaining Parkinson made his final Wrexham changes, with Elliot Lee and Sam Dalby coming on, in replace of Ollie Palmer and Paul Mullin.

After being on the pitch for only a minute, Dalby got himself on the scoresheet, claiming his first ever goal in a Wrexham shirt.

Torquay still searched for a consolation goal, and Jarvis came close again to scoring, but he couldn’t quite direct his strike goalbound.

The day of firsts continued with Anthony Forde getting his first Wrexham goal in added time, capping off a six-goal rout at the Racecourse.

Wrexham: Howard (GK), Forde, Hayden, Tozer, Cleworth, Mendy (McFadzean 23’), Young ©, Jones, Davies, Mullin (Lee 75’), Palmer (Dalby 79’)

Subs not used: Watson and Tunnicliffe

Torquay United (5-3-2): Halstead (GK), Crowe, Donnellan (Tomlinson 76’), Marshall, Omar, Martin, Hall ©, Smith (McGavin 75’), Evans, Goodwin, Jarvis

Subs not used:  Lovett, Lapslie, Wyatt

Bookings: Jarvis 78’

Attendance: 9,970 (155 Torquay)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account